iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band sawmill manual lift assembly

Started by Tacrites, February 07, 2021, 02:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacrites

Hey guys I'm new here and also inexperienced so I'd appreciate a little help. I have had a Harbor freight Band sawmill for about 5 years. It has served me well. I realize it's the cheapest mill I could get and frankly I simply did't know what I was doing when I purchased a mill. I hope to upgrade but for now I need this mill back operational in a bad way. The lift consists of a threaded steel rod and a threaded brass piece. The threads in the brass has stripped. HF says 10 to 12 weeks to replace. I know this mill is also built under at least a couple other names. Surely there is someone that has parts on hand. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me find who I might check with? Does anyone have a suggestion on getting this brass piece made? I am presently fabricating a lift with an electric winch although not sure how well its going to work once completed. Any pointers are appreciated thank

you.

DennisK

Get an ACME nut, Turn it to the outer dimensions. McMaster Carr?

Nebraska

Got a local machine shop?? they could probably make one up.  

JoshNZ

Any engineering shop should be able to make one no problem. Or a friend with a lathe etc

Tacrites

Thank you. Its pretty much a farming community, got to be a shop around somewhere.

Sawmillmike1

These are not acme threads... They are trapezoid threads.  You can order an exact repl from McMaster carr. 

charles mann

@Tacrites 
https://www.roton.com/family/acme-right-screws-and-nuts-7059286/

Go to the main page for the above link and search for the proper thread, tpi and size, or like others mcmaster carr
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Brad_bb

Are you sure it's brass, or is it bronze(stronger)?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ladylake

You need to oil the thread and nut every day. I just use 80 90 gear oil out of a 1 quart squirt bottle.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JoshNZ

I'm sure he's got it sorted as it's been nearly 2 years lol

ladylake

Quote from: JoshNZ on December 06, 2022, 12:50:45 PM
I'm sure he's got it sorted as it's been nearly 2 years lol
That thread and nut looks really dry to me. Also there's  no way it should way it should be shot on a light mill.  I have over 8000 hours on mine with a heavy diesel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!