iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what I sawed today!

Started by MemphisLogger, May 06, 2005, 10:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

The sapwood throws me, or I would say walnut. I have sawed standing dead walnut with the exact same outside texture bark off , but the sapwood was as dark as the heart and came loose in the saw. That looks pretty solid (and white, like living fresh cut). The pith will give more clues. The one thing I can identify is the nails, the man who drove them in the tree was left handed and had a lisp. He must have gotten around he ruined 2 of my blades today.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

MemphisLogger

Quote from: Larry on May 07, 2005, 08:47:22 PM
Hardly ever see any of that stuff. ;D

Quote from: UrbanLogger on May 06, 2005, 10:41:41 PM
They're really smooth and silky yet firm and pointy  :)

I do see a lot of blue.

Sometimes I see a lot of other things also. :D

If only there was some way of making it so you could show it to someone else the next day  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

MemphisLogger

Quote from: Daren on May 07, 2005, 09:28:11 PM
The one thing I can identify is the nails, the man who drove them in the tree was left handed and had a lisp. He must have gotten around he ruined 2 of my blades today.

Are you saying hairbrained hairlips ruined my Walnut? Something should be done about that  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

ohsoloco

Urban, you mentioned your "naily walnut."  Do you charge more for that special lumber  ???  :D  ::)

MemphisLogger

Heck yeah! That's boutique wood--historic content y'know? What retail lumber shop you know that you can buy musket balls from the civil war at?

;D :D :) 

Daren

Scott, if you have any bites on the "naily walnut" as an upcharge, I have some mulberry sawed today that has some "antique" barbed wire fence in it. There are people who actually collect old barbed wire and put it in picture frames. I am looking for a collector looking for bandsaw blades with bent teeth, I could get rich. I have not had a band die of natural causes in a week, I am looking forward to next week. I am sawing my own trees from my timber, finally I will get to wear one dull. 8)

Kirk_Allen

Hey Daren, got any pics of the Mulberry?  I got about 30 logs of it to cut and was wondering what it looks like when opened up.  I assume its similar to Osage, or Hedge.

MemphisLogger

I just hope I remember where the nail is when I put it through the planer  ::)

Don_Papenburg

I was told that the blue topurple to black stain in the log ment that there was metal in the log . Oak react with the nail very well turns dark purple some distance around the nail.  What I have seen anyway.

The mulbeary should be a yellow color .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

MemphisLogger

Papa,

You are so right and we usually try to saw around any black spots we see on the ends of the log.

This works great on Red Oaks due to the fact that the porous rings will conduct the iron-tannin stain several feet up and down the log.

In White Oaks or Walnut though, the stain oftem doesn't go much more than an inch or 2 due to their semi ring porosity.  Sawing the above pictured naily Walnut, we couldn't even see the stain through 6/4s of wood  :(

sigidi

Scott that there metal wood is a DanG nuisance.

I re-tiped seven Lucas blades on my last big cutting job, just a fornight ago.

Very unhappy and a bit gunshy due to economic restrictions :(

But you get that, though great looking timber ;) 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Daren

Kirk
There is a pic of a peice of that mulberry in my album, I just added it. I am having computer probs. I can get pics into my album, but I can't add them to a post (Jeff keeps fixing my posts, I will get lined out soon) The pic is not a good example of nice mulberry, like I said it had fence wire in it, rot in the middle and a limb got took off years ago by a storm or something and had one bad side. If you have some nice length straights, I would say you have some pretty wood. I have sawed some without all the junk and was VERY pleased.

Thank You Sponsors!