iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a guitar

Started by Crossroads, January 26, 2023, 01:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

For quite some time, I've been contemplating building a guitar. Even longer, I've wanted a Gibson Flying V. Gibson FV's are more expensive than my skill level justifies me spending. I haven't played in about 15 years, but have been getting the itch lately. I ended up finding a Flying V kit on Amazon. I know it will never be a Gibson, but should at least quench my desire for a while. It took me about an hour to assemble it, another hour messing with the action and get it tuned. I still need to do some fine tuning on the action, but I'll do that after I put some better tuning heads on it and possibly upgrade the pickups. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

B.C.C. Lapp

Hows it sound Crossroads?   Pics? :)
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Crossroads

I didn't expect to get it put together so quickly, so I didn't buy an amp yet. There's a music store near where I'm working this week, maybe I'll drop in and pick one up. I'm curious how it sounds as well. Playing it with no amp it seems to play nice with no obvious fret buz, but it doesn't hold tune very well as expected with the cheap tuners that came with the kit. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

This reminded me of another Guitar topic:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

If the truss rod does not have any tension on it it will not stay in tune, worth checking out.

Are you going to play crossroads for us?

Hilltop366

I would also think it could use a few days to "settle in" too seeing how it has never had tension on it before unlike a complete guitar.

Jeff

@Crossroads check out the positive grid sparks practice amp online. I bought one with the money I had left over after trading in my dad's gibson mandolin at elderly music, and having my 57 gibson gone through and brought back to playing condition. I just got it back about a week ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

That made me turn and look. Yup its still there. I bought it in '76 and seem to have probably moved on :D.
If anyone wants a copy of "Constructing a Bluegrass Mandolin" holler.

Crossroads

I definitely don't have the patience to build an acoustic from scratch. That's impressive!

I'll check the truss rod, I agree that it will take some time to settle in. 

I'll check out that amp, I bet that Gibson is nice. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

If you have truss rod issues you should see the action changing. If your action stays consistent up and down the fret board through the tuning process, you should be ok, just check it every few days or so until it settles in. Even cheap tuners shouldn't detune unless they too are settling in and pulling down against the shaft hole. I think you just have minor growing pains and it should settle down. 
 I had thought about doing a mando kit a while back. I can't do it from scratch by any means, and I won't because I live in an area surrounded by high end luthiers and nothing I could make would satisfy me when I get to try some of the stuff these guys make and sell around the world. If I made a kit, it would be a kit with low expectations. :D

Nice job on that one, it's a beaut!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

Yeah my expectations for this $179 kit are not extremely high. I figure I make a few mods and make it acceptable for anything I'll use it for. 

Crossroads

Back in the 80's when I thought I was going to be a famous rock star lol i had a fairly expensive guitar and a fairly cheap amp. Now I have a cheap guitar and will be picking up a 100w Marshall head. I'll have to find a cabinet to go with it, but it should have a nice crunch. 

Thank You Sponsors!