Which would you get

Started by kkcomp, March 19, 2023, 06:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

Looking at either an Echo 620 or a Stihl 362. Thoughts? Are they equal? I have several smaller Stihl saws and like them but there is a significant price difference.
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

lxskllr

I'd be looking at the ms400. Since it's release, I don't really see a place for the 362(which I own). Echo doesn't publish power numbers, so it makes it hard to objectively compare unless you've personally run the various models. I arbitrarily buy echo for my small saws, and Stihl for big. I like both brands, and that strategy lets me run both, with Stihl also going bigger at the high end.

If you want the best at any price, get the Stihl. If you want a competent saw that'll do a lot of work for many years while saving a few bucks, get the echo.

ladylake

I'd go with the Echo  as many have, less cost, more reliable but a tad heavier.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

B.C.C. Lapp

Buy em both of course.   8)

Those are both good saws you cant hardly go wrong.   Myself, I'd buy the 362.   I have three of those and I really like them.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

duffdav

I vote for the Echo 620. The last three new saws I have bought have all been Echos...a 590, 620 and a 7310. At my age I may never buy a new saw again as I have over twenty saws but if I do it will be an Echo. I have run Stihls since the late 70s and will have to say the 056 was my all time favorite saw for its day but the Stihl price just got too high for me.

Echo has a 15% off customer appreciation day every spring and fall. My 620 wasn't a whole lot over $500 when I bought it.

barbender

Isn't the ms400 actually quite a bit larger, displacement wise, then the ms362?
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

My vote would be for the 400 from stihl . Same chassis as the 362 just more power 

sawguy21

Do both brands have reputable local dealers? To me quality service is more important than the name or color on the saw. Either one should serve you well if you give them reasonable care. FWIW our local dealer carries both but focuses on Stihl for the commercial user.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NYH1

Quote from: barbender on March 19, 2023, 11:06:43 AM
Isn't the ms400 actually quite a bit larger, displacement wise, then the ms362?
MS362C-M; 59cc, 4.7 HP, 12.3 lbs.
MS400C-M; 67cc, 5.4 HP, 12.8 lbs.
NYH1.
Husky NE346XP 16/18" b&c,  365XT 20/24" b&c, 435 16" b&c
Jonsered CS2258 18" b&c
Homelite Super XL Auto
]Stihl 021 14/16" b&c, 036 Pro project saw
Amsoil Saber Oil, 50:1, 90 oct. E-free Fuel.

JonathanPace

I'm a Stihl man. They've never let me down!

hedgerow

I run mostly Stihl. I do have a smaller Echo that I use in my bucket lift that I bought on close out. Its been a good saw. I have a buddy that runs Echo because of cost he's had good luck with them but when we are cutting together he is always running one of my Stihl's. I would buy a Stihl 400. 

kkcomp

I went with the Echo 620. It was in stock and they gave me $75 off plus an extra chain and a 6 pack of oil. 
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

SkeeterKev

Another saw sometimes found new discounted is the Husky 555 if it suits you.  I have been using one for 3 winters now.  Good saw that I picked up new for much less than what Stihl is selling the MS400.  

Al_Smith

Being an old skinflint I can't say a thing because the newest saws I own are a pair of MS 200T's .Fact the only new saw I ever had is over 40 years old and I still have it .Poulan S-25 DA ,still runs just fine .Might have something to do with the oil/fuel ratio .< had to throw that in . ;)

barbender

Al, you must be running Amsoil Saber 100:1?😁

sawguy21

Geesh, don't get ol' Al going. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

90 WT  SAE gear oil at 10 to 1 .Smokes a little bit. ;D.

barbender

I've always gotta take the shot, in the off chance I can make someone spit coffee out of their nose😁

DHansen

Is that new or used gear oil, I am just trying to figure out how frugal you are.

Kel71

Good choice. Enjoy the 620.

Al_Smith

Now what a minute it was good fresh stuff .Typical gear oil smelled like ferminted skunk rectums ..On second thought it might be some stuff from a final drive of a D4 Cat made in 1943 .I never throw anything away .

ihookem

I dont have the 362 . I have the Echo 620P , a Stihl 034 that is 31 yrs. old. and just went in for its 1st repair in 25 yrs. being my main saw. I also have a Stihl 441.  My 034 and 441 is right in between the 362. I ran them side by side. A few things here. My 034 started every single time in 31 yrs. except twice. About 25 yrs ago it needed an ignition module and was covered under warranty. Last month , it just would not stay running. It cost $131  to fix a few things, carb rebuild, a hose and fuel filter. My 441 is a bit more fussy , when starting,,, it floods easy, but when going it really goes. The Echo 620P is right between them . The 034 bar is still original. You will replace a few Echo bars before 1 Stihl. One thing about the Echo bars is they do not last as long. The Echo , contrary to what many say does not have the torque many say. I do my cutting by not getting to agressive in the wood . The Stihls seem to have it beat that way. I can say, the chains fall off my 2 Echos much more often that my Stihls. I don't know why. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought the Echo 620P or the Echo 510P. I got the 501 for $434 with tax cause is was slightly used ( a few tanks ) and the guy wanted his Husky 565XP? back.  I have $1000 in both saw but with I would have went with a Stihl 261. However , the reason is, I have all Stihls and interchangable bars and chains. . The Echos are kind of like 2 missfits in the line up. However, if you start with Echo's , stay with them  so you can likely interchange bars and chains. The Echo's do not rate horsepower and for good reason. The are shy on the power compared to Husky and Stihl. They are very good, easy to start saws however. Keep an eye on the air filters too. I see dirt getting into the Echo carbs and that is never good.  I make a home made O ring for one of my Echos and seemed to have solved the problem. I love all of them, they're all chainsaws aren't they ?

Dave12

400 100% over a 362.  I've owned both.  The 400 will cut circles around the 362.  It will almost keep up with a 462.  It's a great saw.  20" light bar and you've got a do everything saw that won't wear you out.  I sold mine because I was rarely using it after I bought a 500i.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

Harperfarms

I have both plus a husky 562. Usually pick up the Echo first. Local service is important