iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP Log Yards

Started by Southern Plantations, March 10, 2024, 08:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southern Plantations

Just as a warning this will be the first of many questions. 

Is there a standard formula to determine tonnage of tree length longleaf or loblolly in a stack?

TreefarmerNN

You can scale logs by measuring the diameter of the small end and the length.  There are various scales that give different results so use the one that your local mills use.  If the logs are all the same length, measure the ends and put the measurements on a tally sheet. Then use a table or calculator program to give results.  Weight depends on the species but those calculators and tables are also available.

Here is a calculator to give the results:

NOTE FROM ADMIN. LINKS TO WOODWEB CALCS REMOVED.

Quote from: Tom on 7/14/2001, 9:07:38 PMThis is where those calculators were written.  Jeff the guhru programmed them and I think the two Rons helped with the idea.We had a "hot time in the old town" when a fellow tried to steal them not too long ago.  Jeff got on his war pony and went after him.  The woodweb uses them but they aren't their creations.  All the brains are right here. :D :D

beenthere

TreefarmerNN

No need to go outside the Forestry Forum for weight or volume calculators, just use the FF toolbox for that and much more. Red toolbox is in the left hand column under the list of our dedicated sponsors. 

and welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I don't have anything in my left column anymore.  My Red Toolbox is in the tool bar at the top of the page.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

It should be there on desktop
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!