iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgrading my mill

Started by stumpy, October 21, 2005, 08:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Well, I just sold my Norwood LM 2000 and bought a used WM LT30. I loved the LM2000 and believe it is a great saw that is very well built. I have not a bad word to say about it. My wife has been worried that I would ruin my back doing everything manualy. She's even jocked about getting me one of those things you wear around your neck in case you get hurt, you can send a signal out or something.
The LT30 is not the full hydraulic I was hoping for, but it offers enough features that will reduce some of the heavy manual stuff I've been doing till I can afford full hydraulics.
My question is: Has anyone ever installed a hitch coupler on the tail end of the WM for manuvering the saw? I have a spot that my saw sits in when I'm not doing mobile. The problem is, I can't drive in, I have to back in. If I do that with the WM, it's facing the wrong way. Any thoughts?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

DanG

Congrats on the upgrade, Stumpy! 8) 8)  That's bound to make your life easier.

I've seen dollies used to move boats around by hand. It is just a pair of wheels with a trailer hitch mounted above, and a handle to pull it with.  That might work for ya. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

stumpy

Thanks DanG, But there is a slight incline that I'd have to pull it up. I don't know how heavy the saw is to pull around much less up a slight grade. Any thoughts would be apprecieated

DanG

Could ya tow it in there with a riding mower?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodhick

Put a hitch on the front of your truck.  Works great for moving small hard to back machines like log splitters or air compressors. Sounds like it would work here. Also there is no reason  you couldnt put a hitch on the other end of the mizer to move around.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

stumpy

As a matter of fact, I do have a hitch on the front. It works great for manuvering trailers in tight spaces. I also put my winch there when I need it. That's how I would park the saw if I can put a coupler on the other end of the saw. One concern is, If I put the coupler on, will I be able to lift or push down the back end of the saw to hook it up to the truck hitch.

OneWithWood

You can use the weight of the engine and mast to lighten one end by moving the assembly to the other end.  Try experimenting with this and you should find a point of equalibrium that will make the coupling or uncoupling fairly easy.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kirk_Allen

If you move the head to find that balance I suggest using 2 sets of vice grips clamped onto the rail to stop the head from moving in either direction once you find that spot. 

Lets just say experience has shown the importance of securing the head so do inadvertantly do a wheely  ;D

Rockn H

Kirk, those heads move pretty good when they are headin' down hill don't they. ::) :D

ronwood

stumpy,

I only move it my mill around when I put the end in the travel position that Woodmizer recommends. The weight at the hitch is around 100 lbs. based on discussions with Woodmizer.  Sure don't want to get the head back to far. Done that one time with out the back outrigger up and I had the hitch high up in the air.
:D :D
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

stumpy

Thanks for all the responses so far. Good comments and alot to consider. The big question is: any ideas on the feasability of welding a hitch coupler to the rear of the mill?

Fla._Deadheader

Mount it on a piece of Tubing that will fit inside the main frame tube. One quick pin and it is on or off, so ya won't bang yer shins on it.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

logman

Don't know about the hitch welding but I just installed the log loader
on my LT30 and sure do love it.  It's not that loading logs with the ramps
was that hard when the log rolled up straignt, it was when they would
get cockeyed coming up that was a pain. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

stumpy

I made a loader for my Lumbermate. I found that the log rolled up great when you put a chain or cablle attached 6' wide down under the log then hooked the loader cable to that. It made the log roll up straight instead of having just one cable in the middle of the log.

moosehunter

Stumpy,
Did your LM2000 have the trailer package? Use the same idea for your rear hitch. That way you can take it off when not in use.
Just a thought.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Furby

stumpy

Thanks Furby. Do you move the carraige back a little to balance it when using the rear hitch

Furby

It's not mine, just one I seen.
I figure ya might have to move the carrige, but your hitch sould be good for 500# or more if you have a bigger one.
I would just drop it on and move it into place, it's not like you are towing it down the road a ways..... right ???
Just use a high lift jack and you are good to go!

Thank You Sponsors!