iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board and Batten?

Started by Rockn H, January 10, 2006, 05:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

I've been trying to find some pics of this and I'm not sure what you would call it.  What I'm trying to put a name to and find some pics of is what I would describe as a horizontal board and batten.   Say 1"x8" boards ran horizontally with 1/4"x2" strips placed horizontally over the cracks between the 1x8s.  This is for an interior wall.  I've sawed lumber for this and now I can't even find a pic of it. ;D

stumpy

Board and batton is as you described only the boards are verticle not horizontal
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Tom

Horizontal "board and batten" sounds like a dust catcher to me.

DanG

Seems like it would tend to leak, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: DanG on January 10, 2006, 12:43:05 PM
Seems like it would tend to leak, too.

That shouldn't matter too much on an interior wall, but they sure would gather dust.  How about only one horizontal batten to catch the dust.  Make it easy to clean house, only one place to have to dust.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Rockn H

I'm not worried about the dust y'all. ;)  The batten is only 1/4". :)  I've seen this before and to me it gives sort of a fake log look.  This is for an interior wall.  Imagine the board stained a dark brown and the batten left natural or stain a real light color.  It reminded me of logs and chinking.  I was just wondering what you would call this design, so maybe I can find some pics. ;D

rebocardo

I do not know what you call it, but, I did a set up sort of like that with white pine for the wide boards and purple heart for the narrow boards around a bay window, love seat area. Purple heart is some nice looking stuff sanded and clear coated.

Rockn H

Any ideas where I could find some pics of something like I'm describing?  :)

Cedarman

What about placing the narrow strips under the boards? I would thing this would give a more log cabin effect.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don P

QuoteWhat about placing the narrow strips under the boards? I would thing this would give a more log cabin effect.

Channel Rustic?

http://www.woodsiding.com/pattern.htm

Steve

I've always called it reverse board and batten.Don't know how come?

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Greg

Quote from: Rockn H on January 11, 2006, 01:25:32 PM
Any ideas where I could find some pics of something like I'm describing?  :)

I am redoing the siding on the gable end of my house with using cedar board and batten pattern.

Its only 1/2 done (like most of my projects!) but I will try to take some pics over the weekend and post them here.

Greg

Thank You Sponsors!