iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak board and batten

Started by brdmkr, February 26, 2006, 05:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Sometime back I asked about using green SYP to construct a solar kiln.  Everyone seemed to agree that SYP board and batten would be OK.  Since then, I have seen an oak B&B cabin.  The oak was cut only a half inch thick or so.  I don't know if it was put up green or not.  It got me thinking that perhaps the thinner oak was easier to hold in place as it dried.

I was wandering if half-inch green oak might work in B&B construction of a solar kiln ???.  I know SYP was the conscensus, but I have a good bit of red oak and very little SYP.

One thing is certain.  I have got to do something quick, as I am cutting more lumber than I have a place to store :o.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Use the Shrinkulator (Larry cited it at   Shrinkulator    )and account for the shrinkage you would get, and design that into your fastening, and should be ok I'd think. Narrower boards will be better than wide boards, to spread the shrinkage out a bit.
Board and batten has more air filtration than some other continuous siding material, so probably want to account for that as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_S.

Do you know if the cabin you saw was sided with red oak or white? I sided my barn with hemlock b&b but I was short one batten so I grabbed a nearby piece of red oak. Within 5 years, that batten rotted and fell off. I assume because of the porous nature of RO, it didn't hold up like the hemlock is.
My two cents is to think twice about RO b&b or perhaps at least get a consensus from others who have had a better experience than me with it. I didn't seal or treat it in any way, that may make a difference.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Den Socling

And I believe oak will zigzag back and forth, following the grain as it dries more than SYP.

DanG

Mike, you got plenty of SYP.  I'm settin' here lookin' out the winder at it. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Well, you seem to have a gosh plenty of it, but I am not having such luck.  Maybe we can work a trade ???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

I'm pretty sure something can be worked out. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!