iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Herbicide in the bar oil?

Started by eamassey, December 10, 2006, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eamassey

A fellow once told me that he put herbicide in his chain saw bar oil to prevent stump regrowth (sprouting) when doing fencerow or similar jobs.  Has anybody ever heard of this?  Can anybody verify that it works? Can anybody address the possible damage to the chain saw?  And, is it illegal?

sawguy21

That is a new one. ;D Will not hurt the saw but I cannot see it doing much good other than as a weed killer around the stump.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Have not heard that one, in particular. However, a while back, there was an attachment to drip herbicide onto the circular blade on a brush cutter with that cut-stump treatment in mind. Problem I see is it slings the herbicide all over the area and not just the stump. Seems it would be the same with a chain--saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Simonian

I have my droughts that will work.
I have been putting everything I can think of on a Eucalypts stump and it is still growing.
Just wait till burn season. I know the stump going burn like an Iraq oil well as soon as I put a match to it

konrad695

How much Round-up does it take to kill a Willow tree.  More than a chainsaw can deliver.  Just my thoughts. Konrad

Steven A.

I think the answers you have so far are right on.
Just wanted to add something else to think about.....
By doing this you would be throwing into the air the tiny, almost atomized bits of herbicide.
Without a doubt some of that you will end up breathing. That doesn't sound healthy to me.

A pump up garden sprayer works just fine and takes almost no time to use. Hold it close to the cut surface and in two or three seconds you are done with virtually no waste or overspray.

ely

i have heard of it but i do not know/think it will work with any degree of success. we always spray a treatment on the outside edge of the stump after we cut the tree down. it is very close to 100% sucessful on the kill. we use either the glyophosphate salt or the picloram type herbicides. if we are doing the cut stump type thing we mix it close to 50/50 with water. less will actually work but more is a sure thing.
don't use the piclorram  stuff in the wet areas.

Corley5

There's a company that offers a herbicide kit for bushhog type mowers.  The herbicide is applied through the blades to the cut ends of the vegation.  Never seen one work but assume they must  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Steven A.

Just thinking about appling herbicide through a mowing or cutting blade.
The vast majority of the chemical would be thrown off onto the surrounding area or onto the machine itself. If you used enough to kill the stumps it seems to me you would be wasting a lot of it. Most of it really. Wasting money and not doing anything good for the environment.

And hey.... good loggers and hunters are good environmentalists.  The original environmentalists. :)

ely

with that being said, i also know an older gentleman that uses a 6 ft brush hog to clean up his pastures. he has drilled a hole into the deck and installed a grease zerk with the spring and ball removed. he attached the hose from the zerk to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that is strapped down on the deck. he fills that with a 2,4D type herbicide for broadleaf stuff. it really does take care of weeds and smaller sprouts while brush hogging.

Bill

IMHO -

and particularly since my x says I know absolutely nothing about nothing here goes anyways. I'd agree with the folks that think it'd be getting that herbicide all over the place - especially on my clothes or mixed in with the air I'm breathing- not something I like to do. Now not being to savy about these kinda things and being particularly cheap I usually just mix up some vinegar and salt ( rock, table, whatever ) and apply it. May take another application or two but haven't seen anything stand up to it if I stay after it. I call it the biblical solution - as in the old testament when the winning guys really wanted to make sure the other guy stayed vanquished they did that sowing the fields with salt thing.

Don't really know how it'd work on a large area - haven't tried it . . .

just another .02

Tony_T

Depending on  the herbicide you're considering I hope you already have kids and are not thinking about more.  If not, I'd seriously reconsider. 

You'll be breathing some of the treated dust unless you wear a respirator when cutting.  Herbicides have been tested as being "safe" , what does that mean? I'm sure not by ingestion or by inhalation and most suggesting avoidance of contact with skin.  Have you ever come out of the woods with no sawdust on yourself? 

Besides as mentioned above you'll be spewing herbicide all over without really getting it where it's effective.

Thank You Sponsors!