iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Guest for the Woodshop

Started by Gilman, April 25, 2007, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Got what i hope to be a deal off of CL yesterday morning.  Apparently I called within 5 minutes of the seller posting the add.  He claimed he had 10-20 responses in his email by morning.

1912 Oliver #14 Jointer  20" x 88"  5hp 220V 3 phase

This is where it's sat for the last 10 years.

Duncan thinking he was just going for a joy ride, little did he know he was brought along as a day laborer.  ;D

T100 totaled by Semi + F350 flatbed with alternator problems = this
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sawguy21

8) That thing looks heavy. Is there much work involved getting it running properly?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gilman

The guy I bought it from said it weighed about 800 lbs.  When I got there and looked at it I let him know he was only about 700lbs off.  ;)

I'm hoping there is nothing wrong with the motor.  The bearings seem okay.  One problem with it though is it has the Clamshell style head.  I guess knives can come loose in them. I'm going to take apard the head and inspect it before turning the motor on.

Gilman

Packed in like a sardine

I unloaded it myself because my day labor figured out he wasn't getting paid and quit. It was kind of difficult getting the jointer chained to the forklift.  Once the forklift was close enough, the fork guard was in the way.

Finally got ahold of it.

The Pettibone forklift isn't really smooth when inching.  Being up on those big balloon tires it rocks a bit.  That combined with the van getting jerked around. I was a little nervous of pulling the jointer 1" too far.

Here's proof that everyone needs 2 forklifts.  I did find out that bigger isn't always better.  I had to lift the jointer up and over the van to get it out.

Here's a view from the Cat forklift, I hope you can see better than I can.

Finally safe on the ground

Behind the jointer in the photo above is my shop door.  The jointer is about 8" too long to fit in the door sideways... :(

scsmith42

Now that is cool!  Congrats on the score and good luck with the resurection!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

That's an awesome piece of machinery. I have been keeping my eye out for a big jointer for wide flooring, but I have never seen one that big. :o I did fid a 40" two sided Baxter Whitney planer, but my genset won't run two 30HP motors. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gilman

I'm only going to sand & wax the work surfaces and stop there.  Once the new barn/shop is built I'll clean it up and paint it.  New shop first though.

40" Whew, I'd hate to buy or sharpen those blades.  That machine must have had about a 8" dia cutter head?

Dave Shepard

Actually, the cutter heads are about 4.5", the same as on our B-W 30" planer. It is a beast, and I'll try to get pics soon. Fortunately they are a four knife head, not the old square head.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gilman

Dave Shepard

Here it is, larger than life.

It's a real beast!

Dave

Ironwood

Gilman,

Being a rusty iron expert (yeah I rarely claim expertise, this stuff I REALLY know) The #14 is fairly rare, yours is only the second I've seen. Even though they are early and have a clamshell, at least they are ball bearing. You can always order a Bryd head ($1700-1900 for a 16") I had one here that a local guy had put a 4 poster new import planer on the outfeed side to "do it all in one step", fortunately he had save the original outfeed table so I put it back on and sold the unit as it originally was. Looks like your motor is slung underneath, most were diect drives thru an early lovejoy style coupler, the advantage was the motor was already split from the head an could be easily belt driven. I have converted "newer" 166 style jointers from direct to belt drive and you need to cut the shaft (and put in a keyway)and cut some cast on the motor bell to get it to work. That thing weigh much more than 800 lbs. (you have figured that out by now).

Yours in rusty iron, Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Gilman

Good to hear from you Reid, it's been a while.

I almost have that knuckle boom working.  :( :o

I was looking at the Bryd head and think I might go that rout.  I'm going to take the clamshell head apart this week and inspect it.  I'll probably run it like it is for a bit, if it looks okay.  Looking at the clamshell design one can see where it could be potentially dangerous.

Byrd is faxing me some drawings of a couple of the 20" cutter heads.  The Generic is $1,200.00 I'll see if I can make that one work.

Ironwood

Just make a hardened steel 3/4" blade guard that swings open only enough to let the board thru. Then put an electric brake on the motor and a foot pedel deadman switch. RUNN HERR. ;D The good news is if your in it cheap enough from the purchase price, you can always get all your money back out of it with the Bryd head on it. Everyone wants Oliver iron and with the latest technology on the head it would be a slam dunk, put 5 hp single phase motor on it as well.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

When in Fl this last time, I wanted to buy a Byrd head for my 12" Belsaw
planer. They quoted me $1295.00  ::) :o :o :o  >:( >:(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gilman

Harold,
I asked Byrd about the pricing difference and they quickly pointed out that they make the "generic" 20"  versions in minimums of 100 piece runs.  I asked if the diameter was different for the powermatic 20" ($500 more) than the generic and she said, "nope, just the volume we make of each kind."

I think I'm going to get determined to make the generic version work.

Reid, I paid $500

When the heck did we get a General Woodworking forum?  Where have I been?

Ironwood

So your in good. If you were in at twice that you would still be good. Use synthetic oil it will help with the bearings.

Reid

Gilman

Ironwood

I just put synthetic in my Gator and truck, so 15-40 (or what ever the engine weigh is), I had half a quart left and figured I chuck it in a oil can (pumper) and darn it quieted the bearings noticeably.

Reid

Gilman

Byrd sent me some drawings of the Generic 20"  ($1200) and the Powermatic 20" (~$1900)

Looks like I could get the Powermatic to work, but I'll need new bearings. :-\

Ironwood

Gilman,

Make sure there is enough "throw" on the table height adjustment to accomodate the smaller diameter generic. If it were me go with the proper one, bearings won't be cheap, especially the motor side. 2 cent.

Reid

Thank You Sponsors!