iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gps units

Started by Robert R, June 02, 2007, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I know this has been gone over here again and again but I am in the market for a gps.  I had one of the earlier models (the first one to go on sale for under $200) that got stolen nearly 10 years ago.  I am not interested at all in street mapping and driving direction stuff.  What I am looking for is accurate waypoint navigation, the ability to download topo maps and pre-program waypoints off of topo maps.  I also need good satellite reception for working in the woods and canyons, etc.  My use will be for backwoods horse riding, being able to keep track of miles covered and average speed and such for training for endurance racing.  Other than that, it will be used for marking trap locations during trapping season and "trees of interest" and the occassional crappie bed.  I still miss my stolen one.  I bet I had 50 or more sunken crappie beds marked and reliable water sources in several of the larger Forest Service Wilderness areas.  I bought it after failing to find water with a map and compass after a long day of riding for my horse.  He got what little was in my canteen and got really, really dehydrated.  The next morning, woke up and went in search of water.  Found the stream I was looking for about 200 yards away!!  Man, I felt the fool.  Any suggestions?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Danny_S

I have only had 2 units, plus borrowed a different unit..  I personally had better luck with the Magellan than Garmin. I currently own a Garmin legend. I like it's features and all but it cant see sattelites worth a *DanG. I have had the same comment from others. My Magellan Explorist 100, about the cheapest that Magellan makes, worked great... it would find sat's in the house. 

I mostly only use mine for Geocaching, and have not even done that much lately. It may become a part of Amateur Radio based tracking system if I get the interface.

I just have a hard time with it, it does not like tree cover, and if you cant use the darn thing in the woods it might as well stay at Walmart.

That's my 2 cents, I'm sure others use these most everyday for work maybe but I have used them for 3-4 years geocaching at that's my experiences.

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Thank You Sponsors!