iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tension

Started by loggjamm, December 30, 2007, 11:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggjamm

:o :oHelped a buddy saw some 20' locust for a portable skidder bridge. Squared up a 16"x16", cut it in half. Rolled the top cant off the mill, flipped the bottom cant up, as I was cutting down through, the top piece rose up a good foot, and stayed there right to the very end!! I can't believe the last 3" held that 20' piece up. I held it the best I could when it sawed through, so it wouldn't crash down on my leg!! Wow.
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

Dave Shepard

Locust is really tough, I am surprised it didn't hold until the last 1/2" was cut. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dad2nine

Haven't cut much black locust other than a fence post order and a little bit of quatersawn. But I can say one thing it's some rough stuff to cut on a band mill, it'll set my bands on fire. Had to sharpen about every 50 BF. I have to charge double to cut black locust because I spent a lot of time at the sharpener when I have cut it. I haven't cut enough of it to see what hook angle would work best or get the knack of cutting it.

I've cut some poplar that curled up like a snake as it came off the log. When we get a log that has too much stress, we take em off the mill and toss em in the fire wood pile cause they aren't no good for lumber and I couldn't cut em straight anyways.

ErikC

I to have sawed black locust into fenceposts. I never liked dealing with it as firewood, I'm not sure what I thought would be different. It is tough! My peterson cut it fine but the tension was wild and that is one heavy 6x6 to boot!

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

jackpine

This past summer I sawed about 25 black locust logs for a customer who wanted  10  6" x 6" posts, 18 ft. lg., for a pole barn and 2 x 6 from the remainder. The 6 x 6 posts did not turn out too bad but the 2 x 6 were next to impossible to cut even with turning the log after every cut. The logs would bow and twist so much that the thickness would vary from 1" to 3" over the 18 ft. length. It was so bad in fact that I quit sawing and called the customer and had him come and look at what was happening before I went any farther.He said to go ahead anyway so finished the job but I was not proud of my sawing. >:( The slabs do make good firewood. ;D

Bill

KGNC

My FIL decided he wanted some flooring out of locust.
He found someone that would cut it, but it looked like a pile of snakes!

Thank You Sponsors!