The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: I have been asked to help a friend buy a firewood splitter.  (Read 7651 times)

Offline RSteiner

• God is good, all the time.
    • Share Post
Re: I have been asked to help a friend buy a firewood splitter.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
I purchased my SuperSplit at show prices 2 years ago.  I paid around $2,250 including shipping and the 6 hp. engine.

As far as speed or cycle time goes don't let that intimidate you.  The ram takes 3 seconds tro move roughly 28 inches in one direction, that is only about 9 inches per second, and about 1 second to return to the starting point.  That sounds a lot faster than it looks.  What you can do is run the engine at a little slower RPM and the cycle time will be slower without having much effect on the capaticy of the splitter.

The way the controls of the splitter work one hand is used to begin the splitting cycle keeping it out of the way. The other hand can be if necessary placed on the top of the piece being split to hold it in place.  The flat pushing end is about 4 inches high keeping it well below the top of the piece being split and your hand.  When you position the piece to be split tight against the splitting wedge there is not room for fingers to be in the way.  If your wood is 16 to 18 inches long the splitter will have to travel about 9 inches before it starts pushing the chunk into the wedge.  As with any log splitter you don't ever have your hand on the end of a piece being split.

The one rule you never break with a SuperSplit is only one person positions the chunk to be split and runs the controls.  The down side of hydraulic splitters is the time it takes for the ram to return so usually some one runs the lever while another person puts the chunks on the splitter.  When one of them does not pay attention a hand gets pinched.  The chance of this happening on the SuperSplit is greatly reduced when only one person runs the machine.  You can have some one feed the operator wood or help take away and increase production.

I watched a SuperSplit with an electric motor work once and all you heard was the sound of the wood splitting apart, nice and quite.

Randy

Randy

Offline Nate Surveyor

• If you like work, you will always be happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:23 AM »
My Friend David, who has the need for a bigger splitter, has a wife who often runs the lever, while he loads the splitter.

As is often the case, wife is petite, and he is a monster!

Anyway, I think it would be best to run all of them for a month, then buy one!

David lives EAST of Dallas Texas, near EMORY TX. This is near Sulphur Springs, Greenville, and Tyler. Do any of you have a SUPER SPLIT, or a SPLIT FIRE, or some homemade variety, that I could direct him to go and see? He would not mind a road trip to go and see.

He is a "hands on" learner. Loves to be doing stuff. And he and his wife have adopted a little girl. They are good folks, that would not give you the heeby geebies to come by! (unlike some species of folk! ha ha)

Thanks a ton,

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Offline walnutlogger

• Member*
  • Another load of walnut veneer
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »
Look at a timberwolf TW-6 with tablegrate and loglift. ;)
K&K Logging Inc.

Offline wannabeonetoo

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »
Check out www.splitez.com , they are in California I think , they have a line of incredibly powerful and strong splitters  :o :o :o. I'm in the process of building one very similar to theirs.
I think you'll be very impressed .
  Steve

Offline Nate Surveyor

• If you like work, you will always be happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
Thanks Mr Walnutlogger. I think those go a little higher in price than he is ready to spring for.  :-\

And, Mr Wannabeone to, thanks. I have not looked at those. Do you know any prices?

$ around 3-4k is his limit for now.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What is the Official Length of a Piece of Firewood?? Yes. I just asked that. :-)

Started by Here2Learn on Firewood and Wood Heating

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 04:16:14 PM
by doc henderson
xx
Firewood Proccesing Equipment Friend of our Forum

Started by Jeff on Firewood and Wood Heating

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 07:19:34 PM
by glassman_48
xx
Check out the load of firewood my friend brought me