iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mingo Firewood Marker

Started by John_Haylow, January 25, 2008, 07:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Mingo firewood marker? I see that Baileys is carrying them.

John

http://www.themingomarker.com/
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Ed

A friend of mine just bought one. His son can't seem to use the bar length of the saw to get consistent lengths of firewood, so the Mingo was the cure.
He told me it worked really well as long as you follow the instructions  :D and DO NOT use the flourescent marking paint in it. He tried, because thats what he had, plugged it up in like 2 squirts. Went and bought the correct paint and it works good.

Ed

Dan_Shade

I have one, I like it.  the biggest hassle is having wet paint on the chunks after you cut them if you move them before the paint dries.  you can get different length wheels for it too.  I have a 14, 16, and 18, I think.  I cut my firewood to 18", but have a tough time eyeballing 18" for some reason.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

johncinquo

I was gonna buy one, 1. for my friends that want to help cut wood but cant seem to eye up the right length after moving more than one time over, and 2. Make a wheel and have it roll on the ground leaving dots so I can find my son when he wanders away in the woods when he is supposed to be helping me load firewood.   :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

rbhunter

I  saw that a couple of months back and thought it would be useful. At this time I do not have access to wood to cut so I have not ordered one but have stashed the idea away if I come accross a source to get wood to cut. I would have really liked to have tried it if I still lived in Kansas with all of the places I had to cut wood.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

rebocardo

GMTA!   :D

I was wondering about that myself, I keep getting tempted to buy one, but, didn't know if I would buy it, use it a few times, and then give up on it.  Because it was a gimmick that looked good on paper, but, bad in practice, especially leaning over and walking 40-50 feet down a tree and then back again through brush. I was wondering how well it really marked the wood.

I like to cut all mine short to 14" so it is short enough for the stove, but, long enough not to fall through the beams in my firewood racks.

Wallys World

I have one that I bought directly from Mingo last summer.  I got it off ebay much cheaper than they are now. It works great, even my wife likes to use it.  Our mens group at church have a wood ministry (giving firewood to those who need heat and can't afford to buy it or are unable to cut their own) and we have a wack of logs at our house to cut and split. (One of our members had a shop built and he donated all the logs, the contractor didn't want to fool around trying to sell them at the wood yard, great for us) When you have a bunch of people cutting it was much easier to mark the logs, so you can get a more uniform size. Why didn't I come up with it??? :D
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

thecfarm

When I needed to cut my wood 20" it was to the tip of my bar to the first bolt on the cover of the saw.Now it's the tip of my saw to a raised mark on the cover.Just like it was made for 2 feet.I did look at those markers,but one more thing to keep track of.I'm the only one that does the cutting for the furnace.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

Now that is a good idea.  I sometimes cut a few face cords to sell, and use a stick and a hatchet to mark, but I keep chopping the end of the stick off. :-[  16 inches is shorter than what I burn and I like the "for sale" stuff to look neater and more even in the pile.  The longer I cut the longer the pieces tend to get when cutting my own.
Together we got this !

John_Haylow

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I will order one and give it a try.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Thank You Sponsors!