iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cuts

Started by NewYankeeSawmill, April 24, 2024, 03:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

NewYankeeSawmill

Finally got my %^_@ together and got the mill finished, and started cutting. Played around on a too-short piece of pine, then threw this poplar on. To think I almost made it into firewood!

I've got 2 more logs from this same tree (this was the smallest of them). I think I might get some more practice before I cut those up, I screwed up a lot of pretty wood just playing around today.

And yes, I cut into a log support, burned up my first blade today, too! Getting in all kinds of firsts! ffcool  ffcheesy

- Kevin
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

WV Sawmiller

Glad to hear you sawed into a side support already. Some folks take days and even weeks before they do that. I never do something like that (unless there is someone watching). Now let us know when you roll a log completely across the mill because you forgot to put the side supports up and when you leave a toe board up and saw some long wedges,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RetiredTech

Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. I get a little better every time I fire the mill up. I'm sure you will too. Actually sawing good lumber is a lot harder than watching the videos. It's also more rewarding. Don't feel bad about sawing the log stop. I've got one blade that I broke every tooth off of doing the same thing. And guess what, It was brand new.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Nebraska

Save your first board. Sounds like a good start to me. 

tacks Y

That wood looks good to me, dry it and plane it. Was this dead for a while? It has some nice spalting.

NewYankeeSawmill

Yes, standing dead for about 2 years. Is that what causes the grain to get brown and streaky like that?
I thought it was too far gone... bark was moldy underneath, sliming off the log when I tried to manipulate it. It landed with a thud, I figured it would make OK firewood once split and dried. Glad I've got 2 more logs of it!

- K
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Thank You Sponsors!