The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Total of our experience-Sawmilling  (Read 129786 times)

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: Total of our experience-Sawmilling
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
 Just over 10 years  over 2 million bf.    Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-13 still feel OK and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
13 years all part time.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline sigidi

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
 :christmas:

and how many years we up to now Jeff?
Always willing to help - Allan

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Sawing experience - I'll be starting year 9 in Feb.
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline sigidi

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
with 338 votes a total of 3741 years
Always willing to help - Allan

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »

Thats ALOT OF LUMBER  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline woodandtractors

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
I started out picking up stickers in the field where lumber had been drying for a year until it was packaged for shipment when I was 13 yrs. old. (1964) This was part-time after-school work to help my dad.Continued doing odd jobs around the mill(Lane tractor mill powered by a 4-71 Detroit,Tower edger and trimmer),also filled in as needed sticking/packaging,running trimmer,debarking(later) until I left for 2yrs. after graduation from H.S. Worked a while as a mechanic after trade school,drove truck for 6 yrs.,then went back to work for dad full-time in May 1977-it's been full-time since then so I'll only use the last 36 yrs.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
woodlandtractors,welcome to the Forum. Still have the same mill in use today?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, woodandtractors.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline woodandtractors

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
thanks for the welcome,guys.
None of the old equipment is there now. It was all traded in late 1977 when Ireland Lumber Co. moved to the other side of the property. All new building(roughly 35'x 100',plus an ell over the debarker and another over the greenchain)with all electric machinery-HMC rosserhead debarker and Morbark 48'' Chip-pac from the old mill, used HMC mill frame,husk and topsaw,HMC AC40 carriage with air dogs,verticle edger,20' 2-saw Blanchard trimmer,vibrating slab conveyor and various rollcases and lumber transfers. This mill burned on a Saturday in Feb. 1995,fire started in furnace room(yes,we had heat!) and we lost everything but a forklift and a Trojan wheel loader. Some insurance,but only about half the loss was covered.
 Dad was sure he wanted to rebuild,so we started planning a new mill with a few improvments.We re-used the old foundation and all new HMC equipment and made the new building 72'x110',replacing the previous ells with poured concrete so as to have a standard pitched roof and less snow hanging up in the roof valleys. No oil furnace in this one-small space heaters where needed,the extra floor area in the green chain area was used for lumber carts and keeping the loader and forklift undercover at night. This mill burned down Nov. 10,2007 with the cause listed as "accidental". My nephew had been "managing" Ireland Lumber for 5 yrs. as Dad was being a caregiver to my mother(both in their 80's) during this period.Said manager decided not to rebuild(over my objections) citing the poor state of the industry and not enough money to rebuild. Several months later we found that he had been siphoning off money since he took over in the office and the business was broke and in debt at the time of the fire. The insurance money paid off the debts,my folks wouldn't press charges on their grandson,and I was on my own.
 I borrowed money from a friend and bought a used(68hrs.) Baker 3638 bandmill and Baker gas-powered edger. I have one helper and we saw lumber when there's no firewood orders to do.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Share Post
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
Mike, Glad to see you made it on,i knew who it was as soon as i saw woodandtractors. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline Hud-Son Forest Equipment

• Hud-Son Forest Equipment Headquarters
    • Share Post
    • http://www.hud-son.com/
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
We fall into 65 years. This company is now 4th generation at Hud-Son forest with Dan Hudon Senior starting up the business in 1965 and selling Ross bandmils in the early 70's with his son Dan Jr. The family experience with forestry dates many years before that as Dan Seniors father got him involved as young boy at 7 years of age. The name of Hud-Son's mills comes from Dan Seniors father, Oscar, making the Oscar line of portable sawmills have true meaning to the family business and made in the USA. Currently, 3 generations of Hudon's still work daily for Hud-Son Forest in rural upstate NY!!!
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Offline torqueporting

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
I grew up along side construction equipment and sawmills. My grandfather owned an old wooden carriage and husk. He always said it was "rough" cut and planers were invented for a reason. He passed when I was ten but I will never forget sitting on the skidway watching him saw. His power unit was a diesel mack engine. Stepping over the driveshaft always scared the crap out of me.

My uncle was in the process of building a mill at the time of my grandfathers passing. This mill was full foundationed, generator powered, lane husk, home built carriage (hand operated but some hydraulic controls), green chain, debarker, 2 sided edger and planer. Because of fire threats the building had no heat and heat was the enemy in his eyes. He had seen too many mills burn from heat sources. As a young boy I hung over his shoulder and helped where I could. Mostly I ran wrenches. Actually my uncle unknowingly taught me fractions by asking me to fetch a 9/16 wrench.  As years went on he would say we can either work on it or run it when it came to equipment failures. Every item was fixed with the least expense.

I worked at the mill part time him from the age of 16 to 32. He had plans to sell the mill summer of 2008 and retire but passed away winter of 2007. I assisted my aunt as best possible by operating the mill for five years until she decided it was time she sell in 2012. The land value far exceeded the value of the mill operation.

After my uncles passing I slowly repaired, when needed, breakdowns we bubble gummed for another day. The saw dust pipe had about an inch of duct tape and numerous 1/4" board pieces patching holes right above the blower. I never did replace that section. Every time it blew out I added more tape and boards thinking my uncle would be proud!  There was so much to do with little funds and time but I did my best.

I miss the sound of a circular saw and my brother and I purchased a belsaw. The blades condition was beyond ill and is in New York having life hammered back into it.  It is a 2-1/2 9 gauge. Not the best but it will bring some lumber. Plan is to purchase a simonds or Payne F 7/8 gauge in the coming years.

My production will never compare to what my uncle and I could produce but I will be able to hear the familiar sound that puts my mind at ease.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
torqueporting,lots of memories in that post.   ;D  Thank you,I enjoyed reading it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline torqueporting

• Share Post
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
torqueporting,lots of memories in that post.   ;D  Thank you,I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you for the words. There are many more fond memories which most are down right funny.

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »
On my own bandmill probably only 15-20 hours, lol. Since I figured you meant on non commercial businesses, I didn't vote.
In log mills and planer mills probably 10 years a chunk at a time.
Re-saws, single and twin
P.E.T.
30' set of trimsaws
rip saws
moulders
chopsaws

Offline mfletch1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »
I love the polling idea.  What's really cool are the guys with 40 plus years that are using the internet.  Kudos to you older folk that aren't scared to dig into Internet Technologies and blaze a path.  I know a bit about the internet but way less about sawing so I look forward to the advice.
fletch

Offline 4thgensawmiller

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
I am new to the forum, but I am listing my experience at 30.  I am 42 now, but literally started in the family mill when I was 8.  I started sawing when I was 14, and am sawing on the same husk that my granddad and dad used.  My great grandfather started the mill in 1936, and we're still going strong.  Nothing fancy, just a small circle mill built around a 440 Corley husk and frame.
 ;)
"You ain't makin' money if the saw ain't in the log!" - A. M. Gray

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2013, 09:04:15 AM »
Welcome 4thgensawmiller.  Carrying on a family tradition is wonderful.  Start a thread below and give us a full rundown on your sawing activities.  I am sure that it will be of interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »
Gday

Welcome to The Forum 4thgen  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Im 4th generation myself and would not be caught doing anything else Mate  ;) ;D 8)

I know your website as I spotted it a couple of years ago your running a custom Meadows carriage  ;) ;D 8)

here it is  ;) http://www.grayssawmill.com/history.shtml

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Total of our experience-Sawmilling

Started by Jeff on General Board

0 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 11:02:58 PM
by Jeff
xx
Dear total of our experience explain this

Started by zombie woods on Sawmills and Milling

36 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 05:47:04 AM
by LeeB