iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Sawmilling

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

On my own bandmill probably only 15-20 hours, lol. Since I figured you meant on non commercial businesses, I didn't vote.
In log mills and planer mills probably 10 years a chunk at a time.
Re-saws, single and twin
P.E.T.
30' set of trimsaws
rip saws
moulders
chopsaws

mfletch1

I love the polling idea.  What's really cool are the guys with 40 plus years that are using the internet.  Kudos to you older folk that aren't scared to dig into Internet Technologies and blaze a path.  I know a bit about the internet but way less about sawing so I look forward to the advice.
fletch

4thgensawmiller

I am new to the forum, but I am listing my experience at 30.  I am 42 now, but literally started in the family mill when I was 8.  I started sawing when I was 14, and am sawing on the same husk that my granddad and dad used.  My great grandfather started the mill in 1936, and we're still going strong.  Nothing fancy, just a small circle mill built around a 440 Corley husk and frame.
;)
"You ain't makin' money if the saw ain't in the log!" - A. M. Gray

Magicman

Welcome 4thgensawmiller.  Carrying on a family tradition is wonderful.  Start a thread below and give us a full rundown on your sawing activities.  I am sure that it will be of interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum 4thgen  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Im 4th generation myself and would not be caught doing anything else Mate  ;) ;D 8)

I know your website as I spotted it a couple of years ago your running a custom Meadows carriage  ;) ;D 8)

here it is  ;) http://www.grayssawmill.com/history.shtml

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

woodhick

Bought my first mill (Frick 01) at age 21(48now).  Now using a Woodmizer.  All part time and still learning every time I start the mill.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Custom Wood Cutting

Hello, I,m new and looking for answers to all kinds of issues about my new mill. I ,ve had a belsaw for 25 years. On a good day I,d rate it at 50 bd. ft. per hour. My new mill is rated at 500 bd. ft. per hour. I,m in upstate N.Y. Tuesday pouring the concrete for new mill to set on. A 220 diesel power plant. Hydralic feed. Lots of plans here and equipment. Never a day off here.
What,s the best set up for the edger, and saw to cut slabs into fire wood?

Custom Wood Cutting

Many parts to my mill are from a Frick.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Look forward to some pics soon, as you proceed with the mill site and the mill build (or re-build).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ET

I started helping my uncle in 1975. Certainly was a weekend kind of work. Never actually ran the mill but tended everything else. Bought my own mill just 2 years ago so you can put me down for at least 5 years
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Tim Lea

Jeff, I checked 1 + 2 learning to saw. And learn something new every day.

bsawmill

Third generation sawmiller .  I once had a fellow tell me that I cut my teeth on a sawmill when I was a baby! lol!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, bsawmill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

True east

Just wanted to say hello to all you guys. I'm new to the site.  I just invested in a new WMlt35hydro. I have much to learn and 60+ spruce, popul, pine and oak to play with. I'm already running out of space to sticker boards until this Maine winter leaves for good! I'm sure I'll be back on with questions for ya guys.

Magicman

Hello    True east, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)

thecfarm

True east,as in Down East?? Welcome to the forum. I suppose you brought that from Ross in Chesterville? Going to the WM open house April 12?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,74034.msg1124028/html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

svart ole

Well I will be 67 years on the ground in a month or so. I have been making sawdust or shavings since I was old enough to pick up a board. It was just part of growing up in my family. What I have found that if you ever had a sawmill in the past but don't have one now, odds are you are going to do it again. I was talking to a guy the other day about a local outfit looking for basswood stock for shims. Then this evening I walked past the J.W. Penny bolter I have out back and that little voice of reason kept saying "Don't do it, you know things will get out of hand again". Never did pay much attention to him. Maybe that is why I walk this way. If there is one thing I have learned about sawmill men is they don't know when to leave well enough alone. Then again there is nothing like the smell of fresh sawdust. I am going to have to think about this some more.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

beenthere

Big welcome to the Forestry Forum svart.

Would sure like to see a pic or two of the Bolter saw. Not something we see much of anymore.

Look forward to hearing more about your sawdust past as well as possible new things in the future.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JustGreg

Im still mew enough to figure my sawing experience in hours.   ;D
Woodland Mills HM126

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, svart ole.   8)

thecfarm

svart ole,I got a feeling you won't be thinking for long.   ;D  Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

marktwt

I started sawing in 1984, worked at our neighbor's sawmill canting before that. Bought my first portable sawmill in 1990, second in 1992, an LT40HD and upgraded to a LT40HD remote in 2004.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, marktwt!

Good to hear you have lots of experience around sawmills, the info you know likely will be useful to other members here on the forum.

Tell us a little about yourself, Where you're located etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, marktwt.  As Chuck mentioned, adding your location and sawmill to your profile is always very useful.   :)

FarmingSawyer

How'd I miss this thread for so long?

I started working at my Ex's families sawmill in 92, the year we got married. Worked part-time logging and as the edger/green-chain man for nearly 18 years--guess I hung on so long cause I really wanted slice lumber myself. The mill was a 52" wheel portable tie mill which hadn't been moved in 25 years. It surplanted a completely home made wooden framed mill which would cut 36ft long doug fir sticks. For 3 years I was almost full time.  I also worked the planing mill, delivered lumber & sawdust & slabs. When I moved back East to Maine I realized I'd never bought lumber my entire adult life and I wasn't about to start. So around 5 years ago I got my Thomas Mill.

So all told, and with liberal rounding, let's call it 20 years sawmill experience.

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Thank You Sponsors!