iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey locust?

Started by flintjim, October 22, 2008, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintjim

Is honey locust sawed into 4x4s good for fence post?

tyb525

I've heard that they are good. The sapwood isn't though. Just make sure you cut most of the sapwood off.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ron Wenrich

My charts say they are moderately resistant to decay.  Its slightly below white oak as a post.  Its not anywhere close to black locust.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom Sawyer

Why use something that pretty for fence posts ???  It looks much better as furniture :)

tyb525

I suppose you could use the smaller ones for fenceposts and the larger ones with few knots for lumber.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jwoods

I sawed around 100 4*4 Honey Locust fence posts in the fall of 2000, let them dry 8 months and put them in the ground in the summer of 2001.  Last week I had to remove 1 section (2 posts) for a barn expansion project.  When we pulled the posts out of the ground went over them with my pocket knife, to check for any soft spots/rot.  I found nothing unusual, they are still solid, good for another 20 years or so in my estimation.

The charts/graphs we all use are references, you have to use good judgement on species and placement.  These particular fenceposts are not in wet spots, have good drainage, but are in a heavy clay environment.  In my area water will "pond" 2 inches deep for days in low areas, so I guess I'm saying be aware of your environment.

I would agree to cut out the sapwood, as it does rot quickly, these were all heartwood.

Good Luck

Joe

dad2nine

Thank You Sponsors!