iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heavy Timber

Started by cwries, July 07, 2003, 02:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwries

I am looking for some information on Heavy Timber (Timber Framing).  I was wondering if anyone could recommend some texts on the topic.  I am also interested in the availability of the material in or around Michigan.  Please help me out however you can.

Thank you!!!

burlman

books and tools for timber framing,  [www.leevalley.com] or books at [wwwforestshop.com] I hope that this gives you a start if not you can ask questions here at the forum and you'll get some kind of answer, good luck...burlman...

Jeff

There are a number of Mills in Michigan that will cut timbers for you. Whiteoak timbers seem to be the most popular ordered at our mill.

I guess I am not awake. I sent this post as an instant message first.

Welcome to the board! What part of Michigan are you from? I am up here in Harrison. (Or down there if you are up there farther) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ARKANSAWYER

http://www.timberframersguild.org/
  The Timber Framers Guild has a place where you can order books and info.  They are the best and can get you in contact with local members.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

Jack Sobon and Tedd Benson have put out some good books on timber framing.  As Arky mentioned, TFguild sells some,  and Amazon.com has the ones from the authors I mentioned.  

Welcome aboard  8)

FeltzE

cwries,

I boought "A Timber Framer's Workshop" By Steve Chappell, "Building The Timber Frame House" By edd Benson with James Gruber, and "TImber Frame Construction" By Jack Sobin and Roger Schroeder.

I listed them in the order I'd rank them as to how good they are, but mind you thats only my opinion. "A Timber Framers Workshop" has a fairly broad scope of information from the joinery to the math and caculations for load bearing issues, some simple examples of plans, and the basics of the joinery for each of the typical joints.

I belive all of these publications are available on line.

After reviewing these we went to a "Timber Frame School" where we were able to put our hands on some of the timber framing tools that are available and see them in use. Probably the most important things we learned at the "school" were what tools to shop for and the importance of making some template parts to "test fit" the joinery before the real assembly. The school" we went to was totally worthless for any assistance in general design principles or structural engineering discussions.

Anyone wishing to work on a project is welcome to give me a call you can stay with us, then pay for your training :P, then help me build a new barn or something.... ;D... ok you can stay for free, and you don't have to pay to work on a project, ... but you could learn about what it takes to do it from the sawmilling to the final build...

Eric

Scotty2

Some additional thoughts on:
 "A Timber Framer's Workshop" By Steve Chappell, "Building The Timber Frame House" By edd Benson with James Gruber, and "TImber Frame Construction" By Jack Sobin and Roger Schroeder.

All these and more are available at Log Home Store.  
http://www.loghomestore.com/books-timberframe.shtml

"A Timber Framer's Workshop" is often used as the text book in many timberframe courses and is well laid out for both the beginner and "them that's doin".
The other two are actually fairly old books, (Benson, for example, has written several more since then). Even so, I also prefer these over most of the new books. These "oldies" have good hands-on stuff, and plenty of useful how-to type pictures rather than lots of color photos. Thus, they're more for the person building their own rather than have one built by someone else.

Regards, Scotty

UNCLEBUCK

hi there, timber frame construction by jack sobon will get you into the log pile just as fast as you can read it, i recommend that book by far!! ok. have fun and good luck ! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

hi everyone ! just for the record I am a beginner at timber frame methods and now that some time has passed in the readings of sobon and chappels books I just want to say that I use both books against each other, they are needed in my tool box ! after building big model airplanes for 30 years I am finding that timber framing is not a easy thing and I am not sure I have the patience anymore to it this way,I wish I had the time and money to travel to maine and go to chappels workshops but i dont, I feel it would really have made a big differance in my work output ! so i slowly re-read parts of these books as i slowly continue ! I guess the glory comes on raising day ! whenever that will be ! haha :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!