iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real stone veneer interior wall

Started by woody1, January 16, 2009, 03:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

I helped a friend of mine build an addition onto his cabin. It's a rustic place with wane edge siding on the exterior. He is putting a stone veneer wall inside. Thought you may like the pictures. I am a stone wall freak myself... I love 'em.
Woody

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Dodgy Loner

It's coming together nicely!  I always thought you laid the stone bottom to top...
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

woody1

When using venner stone top first works better...Keeps the mess off the stones. Plus, one stone is not bearing on the one below it.  ;)
Woody

woody1

The wall is finished.. came out really nice. Here are some pictures of the wall and the rest of the cabin.

cheyenne

I was putting up veneer stone in our living room and when I got down on my hands & knees to clean up the mess under the doorway a stone decied to test my noodle....Knocked me out cold ::) ouchieeees....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

LeeB

How did ya'll do the grouting? I did a small hearth for the heatstove in the basement and did the grout by flinging it in and hand packing, Messy but it filled the cracks full.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

cheyenne

Backing should be plywood, then wire lath, then coat with morter, let dry for a week, then let your stones soak in water, spray mist the wall, butter your rock about 1/4" put rock up & fill & smooth around the outside by hand. :P Pooff stone wall....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

LeeB

I used cmt backer board and native stone from the creek bed. It was fun puzzling it together and picking the rock from the creek. Grouting and clean up was no fun at all.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woody1

Grouting is no big deal. Go get yourself a grout bag, look like a cake decorating bag, only larger. Put in some stiff mortar and squeeze it in the joints. Then let it set up a while and slick 'er down. It's sorta fun.
Woody

jpgreen

Outstanding .. 8)

I've wanted to venier the lower exterior of my buildings and have not found any solid info on the web as how to do it in the past.  So a 1/4" butter holds the stone up?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Fla._Deadheader

I like the whole she-bang. No rocks like that down here, or, I would do some walls like that, when I re-do our house.

NICE job.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

That looks great! 8)  The stove wall is my favorate with the crooked edge on the right. :)

So whats the difference in the project if it were outside rather than in?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

okie

Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Lanier_Lurker

I hate grouting too.    >:(

It is messy, tedious, and a certain pace has to be maintained for the finished product to look good (at least on tile floors if not so much stonework).  The planning, site prep, and the cutting and setting of material can go at whatever pace you are comfortable with - even setting just one or 2 pieces a day when time constraints are tight.

Those are some fine looking walls.  I want to do something like that in my basement for a wood stove.

WDH

Nothing like the beauty of natural stone!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!