iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prazi Beam Saw

Started by RandyL, February 22, 2009, 01:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyL

Hi folks, does anyone here know what the difference is in the older model PR-7000 beam saw and the newer model. I found an older model but brand new and I'm curious to know what saws that it will fit. I know it only fits the worm drive type. THe prazi website states that it fits almost all saws but I think thats for the newer models.

Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

I think you'll have to contact customer service at the factory to get the answers you need.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I have the manual for PR-7000 somewhere in my father's house but I don't know if it includes the saw list.
What worm-drive do you have?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

RandyL

Thanks guys. I'm already wondering if its worth using. I picked it up for $107 Canadian, they sell new for $225 up here. Also just picked up a new skil saw for $225 but I can already tell that this thing isn't going to be cutting straight. Guess I'll have to think about is some more before I use it and will  have spent $332 for something that I can do better with a $20 hand saw. 
It would be a great tool if it cut straight. Anyone have ideas on how to make it accurate.

Thanks.

MountainWalker

Don't be so quick to dismiss the Prazi.

I recently bought one and had some of the same issues you seem to be having; see the post I started "Cutting Straight with the Prazi Beam Saw".  I don't know how to link to it for you.  Search "Prazi"

Bottomline, keep it sharp, keep it greased, don't use a guide, go slooooooow, watch the line and steer it and you will be rewarded with straight cuts. 

You've go the pieces, just need to practice with them.

RandyL

Thanks for the tips. When you say slow, how slow are we talking here? Could you tell me on average how long that it takes to cut say a 6x8 of pine with the it?  Once I get lined up with my hand saw, I'm only a couple of minutes. I'm sure you guys know that already.

Thanks.

Your in Canmore....I got stuck near there in the middle of the night for a few hours hitchhiking a few years ago. Forgot my pouch of tobacco in a guys van as well.  All alone on the highway with no smokes. It was a bad night. No one picks up people at 2:00am.  ;D

Jim_Rogers

When I use my prazi I let the saw do the work. You can push it some but remember it's sawing all the way through an 6x8 it takes time to saw all that wood.

You'll get the feel for it after a few cuts, and you'll know when you're pushing it to much. And you'll have to learn how to steer it to the line and make it cut straight.

It is not as fast as say a "chain saw" but it will do a nice job if you let it.

I often stop and remove the sawdust from the line so that I can see the line better.

I feel it takes less time to cut a timber off with a prazi then with a skill saw and a hand saw.

Using a skil saw you have to roll the timber to make cuts on the other side and then finish with the hand saw.

The prazi does it all at once, no rolling...

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!