iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

geothermal do it youself kits

Started by Kansas, February 24, 2009, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

I am looking at building a new house, and got the various cost components last week. I had wanted to go with a geothermal closed loop system that utilized the pond/lake I am putting in that the house will sit next to. The bid for the geothermal part was 20,000 dollars, including duct work. The guy helping me on the building side tells me a regular complete system could be put in for 5000 to 6000 dollars. I still want geothermal, but want to figure if i can pare the cost down. On the internet, you can get a complete kit including piping, water pump, etc for just over 6000 dollars. I will have a guy at the site anyway with a trencher for the septic and lateral systems. It shouldn't be any farther than about 200 feet to the pond. It seems like even after getting the duct work done, I should be able to get the geothermal system in for under 10 grand. If I can't get the cost down to around that, I will probably go conventional. Anyone tried this? A lot of what I read on the internet cautions against trying to DYI, usually from companies wanting to sell installed systems. The guy that will do the trenching is pretty handy at figuring things out. I don't want to end up with a mess, but the bid seems way out of line. Thoughts?

Qweaver

I'd like to do a geothermal HVAC also.  $6000 seems like a lot for what you get with the Ingram's kit.  I don't like heat pumps here in WV winters but a geothermal seems like a natural fix.  I spent several hours looking on the web but did not find a lot of complete DIY units other than the one listed.

I've always done my own HVAC work and installs.  I decided to get a bid on the cabin because I just have more to do that I have time to do.(or want to do)  It's about 1000 sqft and a very easy install and duct work.  The installed bid was $7500 for a top brand 2 ton 15 SEER AC (not a heat pump) with electric heat strips.  I was amazed!  I just did the same job myself on my house in Texas and I had less than $2000 in material and equipment. 

Any info on geothermal sources would be appreciated.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

iffy

Kansas, I am in the process of building a log home and I chose to go to the extra expense of geothermal. I am in solid rock and don't have a pond, so I chose dry wells. However, this is still a closed loop system much like you want to build. We finished the basement and moved in last winter and have been using the system on low speed to heat the basement. Also utilized the superdeheater option to preheat my hot water tank.
I live over south of Junction City and you are welcome to come over and look at my system any time. I didn't have time to do it myself so I used Country Aire out of Abilene.

Kansas

Iffy, thanks for the invite. I imagine I will be over at some point to see how yours is hooked up. I will check with the company you used and see if they are more reasonable.

The topeka home show is this weekend, and I know at least a few geothermal companies will be there, including the one that bid so high on me. I hope to get more answers then.

iffy

I had bids from two topeka firms, one clay center, and the abilene guy. The guys from topeka and clay center bid either 3 ton or 4 ton, because my house was borderline between the two and frankly they weren't sure how to figure the log walls. Those 3 just seemed to pull something out of the air. The abilene guy is retired military, and he did a complete computer workup and asked all the right questions, such as log dia, window size, type of windows, roof design, etc. His results also fell on the border between 3 ton and 4 ton, and he recommended going with the higher. His quote was in book form and included all the calculations used to size the equipment. He wasn't the cheapest and he wasn't the most expensive, but he was the only one that gave a warm fuzzy feeling.
The invitation stands to come over any time and look at my installation. If you pm me I will give you my phone # and email. gluck.

Thank You Sponsors!