iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jack Sobon house

Started by shad, July 24, 2009, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

We're getting ready to start building the house from Jack Sobon's Build a Classic Timber Frame Home soon, and next week we'll be traveling from Texas to Maryville, TN, on vacation.  If anyone near that route has built a house like that one and wouldn't mind, we'd sure appreciate being able to see it and talk with you.

Jim_Rogers

For a presentation of how to build a timber frame model, I created a model of Jack's house:

In order to create the model of Jack's house, I had to draw the frame in my drawing program:

The house that was constructed in order to photograph it for putting the photos in the book is located in Western MA near Jack Sobon's house.

I haven't been there personally, but I have heard of others who have.

If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

We're a bit off your path (CT), but our house started with a "Sobon house" frame.

I added a timber framed shed along one side and an office off the end.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

shad

Hey, thanks for the photos guys. Jim you've inspired me to build a scale model frame. I think it will be a big help with me and my wife deciding how to lay out the rooms. I'm trying to keep from having any ells or additions. We staked it out (18' x36') and  my wife thinks it looks kind of small.
I'll be building in N.E. Texas. Is there any reason to change any of the timber sizes because of the climate difference? We don't have the snow load of the Northeast but we do have high winds from time to time.   

Jim_Rogers

You may have to improve your roof hold down to comply with local regulations, but you shouldn't have to change any timber sizes.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

If I remember, I'll ask Jack tomorrow about wind loading on that frame. If I remember. ;) ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Jack said you will want to attach the roof with hurricane clips. We have to do that on conventional framing here anyway.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shad

Thanks for all the help and photos guys.
Raphael have you built your stairs yet? If so can you post some photos of your stairs?
I built my scale model (1"=1') of the house this week and added my masonry heater but I'm stuck trying to build the stairs. I know how to lay out straight stairs but I can't seem to get my mind around how to get the U shaped stairs to fit in the 8' x 5' opening. Any good software or websites you can reccomend?

Raphael

I've rotated the house 180° from how it's layed out in the book and moved the main staircase into a 14' bay so I'm not much help as far as the U shaped stairs are concerned.  The house is mostly done and I've got a bunch of misc. pictures in an album in my gallery here:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=507

We've also got videos posted on two youtube channels if you are interested.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!