iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belsaw sawmill progress

Started by b dukes, December 26, 2010, 12:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_

captain_crunch

How long is that going to make you overall?? I can saw 20 ft possibly 22 but 20 has to be on carrage just right to clear splitter
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

b dukes

captain_crunch
My overall length will be 38 feet. The first thing I want to change after I get everything running correctly is the carriage., mine has just two headblocks and is ten foot long . I want to stretch it out some. not sure how much at this point :-\   how long is yours?

captain_crunch

My carrage has the Belsaw addons and is 12 ft with 3 Knees I will get you a pic of how we added 1/2X3/4 flat stock accross carrage to stifen it and knots dont hang as bad and log slides easier when you move it with setworks
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

b dukes

What do you have to turn you logs against? Just trying to get an idea of what I need to be trying to find. Anything you can think of that I might need will be a great help and any useful mods. you have made..  thanks!

captain_crunch

Here is some motivation for you

In second pic you can see reinforcement under log. This is what we call a half moon the shaft rotates so when log balances on them they roll(flip) log back onto carrage

I will dig up some mor pics of it

b dukes

How do they lock into to upright position?  I cant see that., but thats just what I need.

captain_crunch

Pic in above post shows them rolled up this one shows them down

Thought I had one of cant laying on them If you need more I will try some action photos tomorrow

captain_crunch

b dukes
You dont want them to lock they have to roll with cant here is it in action

better pic of added iron to carrage

Tuner

I'm 90% sure that edger is an old Belsaw 802.

The Press Roller, feed rollers, and infeed spurs all look right.

The only part that looks odd to me are the pulleys on the right side of the pic.  They are correct in function, but I don't recognize the style.  Small flat belt maybe.

bandmiller2

Duke,as far as log turners have you seen the belsaw manual?Their are several things to make the mill handy to work with.One is to be able to walk between the carriage and the log deck without climbing over ramps.That helps you roll the logs on the turners and makes it easier to set the dogs.A log deck the same hight as the carriage is almost a must with a gap either with hinged rail or a short piece of hardwood to roll the log over the gap.Two heavy posts set deep in the ground with triangular flip up turners in line with the deck rails.To load a log, fold down the turners set the hardwood pieces on the top of the posts roll the log on.After you make the cut flip up the turners and let them take the shock as you roll the log towards you.Have the carriage at a handy working hight,make yourself a wood deck to work on,really nice in cold or wet weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

b dukes

captain_crunch
I see what you are talking about now. :)  I was thinking that they locked into place either up or down. And when you would roll the log against it , it just would slide along the on the half moon to help it slide down.. But not knowing much about this I was wrong., I see how it would work better your way! I still have a huge learning curve ahead of me., with lots to learn. What I like so much about this forum is how much people are willing to share advice and help with anything you may have problems with. It is so much easier to ask a question and get an answer that will help you, than to go at it on your own until you finally get it right.  Which could cost you alot of extra money and time.

FrankC
I saw somewhere on a post what you are talking about, but I cant seem to find it., it had some good pics, but it was sometime back.

captain_crunch

Just Glad what little I have learned may help someone else ;) ;) Till 2 years ago I only knew a Sawmill is where Log trucks went ::) ::) ::) People here are the BEST at trying to help you than any other source I know of
Brian

bandmiller2

Cap Crunch,don't be so modest you have a world class Belsaw setup there with many inovations your input is valued.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Duke,friend and member JSNH has some pictures in his photo album of my operation.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Duke, just remembered Captain stopped by and took some pictures also, their in his album. Frank C.

Birk-man

Quote from: captain_crunch on January 04, 2011, 01:25:03 PM
I can saw 20 ft possibly 22 but 20 has to be on carrage just right to clear splitter

I've been trying to understand this - Does the log have to clear the splitter or does it just have to clear the back side of the blade?

Peter

Dave_

It just needs to clear the front cutting edge of the saw.  The offcut will obviously fall away once it has finished being cut.  The constraints are the distance from the front edge of the log to the saw leading edge with the carriage in the maximum back position and the distance from the back edge of the log to the saw leading edge with the carriage in the maximum forward position.  This is the true length of cut.  However, for reasons of safety and practicality, the working cut length will be much shorter.

paul case

something should be said about safety here.
capabilities to cut a certian length made some trouble for me with the belsaw m-14 i had. as i remember  a 16' log could go on it easily, but when the boards were cut off if there wasnt an extra table to catch and make them fall away from the blade the far end would drop and the near end would bounce up and could get into the blade. the reaction would be the board would be thrown , split ,shattered or flipped up in the air like a missle.
would they cut it? yes very well in fact.
was it safe without some extra set up? no. could get someone hurt.
be careful. we like to read your posts but dont look forward to reading about you in the obit's. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

b dukes

bandmiller2    thanks, looked at the pics and that was the ones I referring too!

captain_crunch    I am in the same shoes you were in, I had helped some on a sawmill years ago but just to throw boards. We cut some large pines down  last year where we dug our pond and my father wanted them cut into lumber.  A friend of mine has an uncle that has a Frick sawmill.  After watching him run it, I knew I had to have one.

b dukes

As for me that is the reason I added in the extra length was to be able to load the log at a safe distance from the blade.  not having to be so close. I wanted to be able to cut 16'. For the most part that is the longest I have ever bought at any builders supply and should do for my needs.

bandmiller2

The safety comments are good you don't want to be working too close to the saw.A log or cant should always be kept moving when in the saw either cutting or gig back.Usally the real long stuff is timbers or heavier dimention and quite heavy.The easiest way is to put one log on the deck and fit it on the carriage make your cuts and remove it on the deck end.If your planning to do alot of long stuff set your mill up for it. Frank C.

captain_crunch

They don't need to much more than clear front edge of saw to be ok but I lots of tine cut like 2 in slabs square on bottom and side wild on top and where I stack resaw stuff on left roll case they have to get past sail to move them accross safely

paul case

the little wood block black taped to the last knee in the pic looks like something i would do.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

Paul
That is a very important stick :D :D At some point in its life someone welded shaft between 2 and3 knees so till I get around to it this is adjustment beings one slot ahead or back is not in lead. Was going to use steel but oak shim seems to be ok just need tougher tape ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!