iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any carpenters/chainsaw millers on here ?

Started by Madman_Mark, January 09, 2012, 12:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

First let me say that I am no carpenter. Im looking for a piece of land to buy to slowly build a small house ( possibly a timber frame ) and a garage on. I plan on building it over the next 3 or 4 years "bit by bit" doing whatever I can on my own ( and hiring some help also of course ). I do some part time work for myself doing tree removals,cutting house lots etc, etc.... Anyways I have been slowing collecting logs and milling some into boards/beams which might come in handy later. My main question is ....What size lumber/beams etc....should I be milling with my chainsaw mill that will be the most useful ? I realize it will be limited beacause its a chainsaw mill but remember that I have lots of time and a good supply of logs.

beenthere

Where are you located, or area you plan to locate? What place do you have to saw and collect material now? What woods do you have available for building?

Hopefully you will be in one of the few places where one is allowed to work "bit by bit" over a period of time and use his own materials to build with. If not, look into what some of the restrictions are to avoid being a target of the inspectors and other do-gooders.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Madman_Mark

Im in NS, Canada. We have lots of Spruce and a bit of White Pine.

Dave VH

I am a carpenter, I get to do a lot of structual enginering too.  However, I'm new to milling.

You need a design before you start looking at what size beams to cut.  Spruce and white pine is not the strongest out there for clear span post and beam.  Especially with the snow loads that you'll get.
  In order to answer the question inteligently, I would need to know what the live, and dead loads are for your area.  On top of that, what kind of spans you'll be having.
  In America, you can call you township building inspector, or find that information online.  I don't know what your options are.  It's easier than it sounds, there are free load calculators here online that once you figure your loads, then you will know what size you logs need to be.
  Good luck, sounds like fun.  I get to do that kind of stuff all of the time, but I'm usually stuck to someone elses wants and desires, it would be a lot of fun to do it for myself again.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

losttheplot

Quote from: Dave VH on January 09, 2012, 05:55:18 PM

You need a design before you start looking at what size beams to cut. 

That's very good advice.

Design your house now and you can start collection other things, like windows and doors, from Craigs list etc..

I am cutting my timbers over size so I can re-saw them later.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!