iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Might be a good idea to pin it, that spot might weaken your foundation a little.  Looking great though.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Ljohnsaw

Re: rock inclusion into footings - pin with rebar.

I had a (email) conversation with my engineer and the county.  The county wanted some new calc on how this will be handled.  My engineer took the pictures (from above) and added some annotations and representation of rebar pins to be place on 12" intervals, minimum of 5 pins.  They said that will be adequate and does not affect the calculations.

I spend the better part of 3 days using a jackhammer to drill eight 3" deep holes (all the engineer said was necessary) in the sloped rock.  The vertical one does not need any.  Then I epoxied in some rebar long enough to go at least 12" up into the block wall that will be set on the footings.

I called and scheduled and inspection for today (Friday) back on Wednesday - when I was done with the epoxied-in rebar.  The automated system gave me Friday and a confirmation number.  I called back to talk with a real person and questioned the Friday appointment since the web site says they only do  "East of Yuba Gap" on Mondays.  My property is AT Yuba Gap exit.  She assured me that it would happen on Friday.

Thursday I spent the day clearing out my slab pile from by the mill (probably a cord of firewood) and all the trimmings from around the footing forms to make it look good for the inspection (and better footing when we pour).

This morning, just as I was about to call to find out what 2-hour window I should expect them, the county called.  They said they don't do my area "East of Bowman" (which is about 10 miles west of my property) on Fridays - only Mondays.  I explained to her that a real person confirmed the time - she just said they won't be out... >:( :-X

So, Monday it is.  In the mean time, I picked up almost all of the concrete rubble (demolished slab) in the gravel field (adjoining my property) and added to my firetruck turnaround (required by the fire marshal).  Didn't get a picture but might snap one on Monday.  In digging out the rubble, there was this troublesome piece of rebar.  I decided to finally get it out before I poke a hole in my SkyTrac tires.  I chained it up to the forks and lifted - it zipped along, rounded a corner and popped out a bunch of concrete blocks filled with concrete - stuck in pairs.  Other than mangled, the 20' length of rebar was clean - no concrete stuck on it.  Doesn't surprise me, the chunks of concrete slab had the 1" river cobble stuck on one side and an impression of the remesh.  They just poured the concrete on the remesh and never lifted it into the wet concrete.  Yes, they used round river cobble (landscape marble rock) as a base for the slab.  ::)

I made 7 or 8 trips with my 4'x5' trailer pulled with my ATV.  Probably 1,000# per load.  Was kind of a challenge to keep it moving in the gravel without digging in.  A lot better than using the wheelbarrow!  There is probably 3 or 4 more loads to move that I will probably do on Monday either when I'm waiting for the inspector or after (if they show up early).  Then I should be ready to have the concrete trucks and the pumper wash out in that area.  I have to drive by (over) this gravel field to get to my cabin (easement) so I'm cleaning it up so it looks decent.  I told my neighbor that I want to get rid of the gravel - you really can't drive on it - you sink.  He's good with me disposing of it.  I will use it around my footing for the drain pipes - really all that it is good for.

Wednesday is the scheduled pour - 24 yards to fill about 180' of footings - weather forecast is calling for rain late in the day.  We should be done by 12 or 1 pm.  The rain shouldn't hurt the footings.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Progress - concrete! 8)

So rain was predicted for Wednesday, so I backed it up a day.  Concrete was scheduled for 1:30 in the afternoon (big PG&E job in the area took the morning).  Pumper arrived and set up by 1:00.  First concrete truck arrived at 2:40  :-\

I have no idea what I was thinking when I ordered 24 yards.  It was evident when the first truck was done with the first 10 yards that 24 was way too much.  Second truck arrived just a short while after the first truck was finished washing out.  He got lost...  I canceled the cleanup truck of 4 yards but was stuck with the second 10.  We finished up the forms by 3:30 and dumped the remaining 3 to 3.5 yards in an area I had placed broken slabs for the firetruck turnaround.  I guess I'll keep adding to that and make a nice parking area  ::)

It did rain on Wednesday so I returned on Thursday and Friday to remove the forms, level some dirt, mark where doors and windows will be in the ICFs and measured with my transit to see how good (or bad) the footings came out.  Not perfect but not too far off.  I need to set the first course of ICFs in mortar, so I can adjust for the differences.  Its just a pain because I have 5 steps in the foundation (on each side).

Here is what it looked like Thursday morning:

And Friday evening before I went home:

More rain predicted for Sunday and mix of snow on Monday.  Will return on Tuesday to do some work - looking at a week of sunny days, but highs in the low 50's.  Starting Thursday through Sunday, my brother is down from Ashland and will be helping me square up and bed the first course, then dry stack up the first 6 feet (8 feet in the back) and hopefully have an inspection on the 9th.  My goal is to get that poured so I can backfill the two feet I need for frost protection (footing will actually be down 3 feet).
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

More progress.  With my brother and my son's help, we got started on laying the first layer of FasWall block in mortar.  The remaining courses are dry-stacked and then filled with concrete (pumped in).  We spent the later part of Thursday, and all of Friday and Saturday setting and laying block.  We had two additional helpers on Friday and one on Saturday.  Here is my brother teaching my son how to lay mortar:

My son would deliver the blocks (12x24x8) where needed, packed up insulation that was removed from some of the cells and fetched tools without complaint.  He did a fantastic job and now knows how to set block!

Here is what we had at the end of the last day:

The long wall on the right was the last stuff done.  With that done, I can dry stack a LOT of blocks.  The mortaring is better than half done now - another 75' or so to do out of 180'.

Light snow falling today Heavy snow falling tonight :( and supposed to be clearing up for the rest of the week but rain again next week.   :(
John Sawicky

SLawyer Dave

Moving right along.  Great work.  Glad to see the family is getting involved too.

Ljohnsaw

Went up today with my son and his friend to play in the snow.  Looks like Monday delivered about 4" of snow.  My mill and storage shed:

My walls look like this now:

Pretty, but sure puts a crimp in the construction.  I scraped the snow off the tops of the walls and it should clean up tomorrow as it warms up a bit.  I'll probably go up on Friday to add some blocks.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

Looking good. What is that white stuff? ;D

Ljohnsaw

Setting up and using scaffolding is slow.  I decided I needed something more adjustable.  So I made a Scaffold platorm for my SkyTrac:

I made it so it can slide on the forks long-ways or short-ways.  The railing is down the middle so I can work from either side.  It easily holds 24 blocks with room to work.

That made it easy to place a lot of block quickly.  I position it just above the current top block so I can reach over the rebar and don't have to bend down too far to place it.

The rest of my block is snow-locked!  I cannot get my SkyTrac to it - no tread on the tires and no chains.  If I don't get too much more snow during Monday's storm, I'll have to handle the blocks individually to continue my foundation.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Well, I went up the hill on Wednesday the 18th and found my site like this:

Its not much (for you guys back east), but 6" puts a bit of a damper on things.  I cleaned the snow off the tops and dry stacked another 2 pallets (108 blocks) on the existing walls.  Couldn't do any mortar setting of blocks on that day.

Went back today (Friday) and cleaned off the remaining slush off the footings and laid a few blocks up to the steps in the footings.

With these few blocks added, I could now stack another 2 pallets.  Tomorrow I hope to lay a lot more of the remaining first course with my son's help.  There is about 64' of block to lay (32 blocks).  If I get all or most of that done, then Sunday will be a high-volume day dry stacking block - hoping to knock out about 5 or 6 pallets!

More snow expected on Tuesday  :(  My cabin is at 5,800', snow level is expected to drop to about 2,500'! :-X
John Sawicky

beenthere

ljohn
Making progress, albeit some slow.

Be careful, as it looks like there are plenty of very slippery spots, and many bad things to fall on, on your way down.

Thanks for the pics...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Rocks,rocks and more rocks.
When they was digging for my foundation everything was going good until the bedroom was dug. :( Had to call the dynamite guys in. That moved the ledge or whatever the  excavator could not move.
Good luck to ya!! 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Saturday, I drug my son up to help me with laying block.  We spent a few hours (setting is SLOW) and got to this point:

The new blocks are the backwards C on the footings.

OK, I cheated, I took those pictures this morning because I forgot yesterday and didn't have the "good" camera.

My sister and my son came up today and were hauling blocks.  By lunch time today, the mortaring is DONE  8)

And by 4pm, hauling lots of block, we worked on the western wall.  I used up the last of my 1,000 rebar tie roll.  Need to find some more.  Using a roll of wire is just too slow.

My sister suggested a slide to get the blocks from the driveway (left of picture) down to the footings.  I had made a concrete chute a number of years ago from a blue plastic 55 gallon drum cut into thirds.  Worked pretty well for getting the blocks down to where we needed them.  The hill is steep and covered in snow and mud - too slippery to make many trips to haul the blocks.

We covered the insulation side of the blocks to be ready for some snow Tuesday/Wednesday.  The forecast is looking better - less precip than the "big" storm they originally predicted.
John Sawicky

beenthere

Going well, I see.

What machine do you have entrapped within the block walls? Is the plan to drive it out some day, or lift it out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

That is my Davis Little Monster backhoe.  Once the first lift of blocks are filled with concrete, I will use it to move that big pile of rocks before I have a bunch of gravel and dirt brought in to backfill for a base to my basement slab.  I will fill two feet above the footings (three blocks high) - so I need LOTS of fill.  That is one block below the current west wall height next to the Davis.  I figure I might as well use a couple yards of big rocks/mini boulders!

I can always lift it out with my SkyTrac ;)
John Sawicky

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Ljohnsaw

Site as of 12/1/15  :(

More snow predicted for tomorrow...
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

1/1/2016 Update:

Another month has gone by with a number of snow storms, followed by rain and more snow.  My construction is on hold - high of about 30° on the first of January.  As I walked around the corner of my driveway:

My neighbors said there was a little snow accumulation...

The pair of 2x6 sticking up is my little 4x5 trailer that I was going to pick up for a chore the next day.  I decided to leave it since it was frozen to the ground!  You can barely make out my mill bed under the snow.  I'm glad I got most of my sloped roof on my truck box so the snow wouldn't crush it.

There is just about 2 feet of snow on top of my blocks.  These are somewhat protected by trees so more than that actually fell.

Not the same angle as the previous pictures but it sure looks like a lot of blocks have disappeared!

Was raining up there yesterday and today.  More foul weather for the next week but I'm on the elevation margin of rain / snow so I won't know until I get up there again.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 2/9/16:
There has been a number of storms with the snow line going up and down the hill.  I was hoping for more rain than snow so I could get on with my foundation.  Emailing my neighbor who goes up every weekend, she said the snow was melting fast and on their south slope, it was barely sled-able.  So I stopped by this morning.  The hill looked fantastic!  Smooth (from all the rain) and probably a good foot to foot and a half.  I should have known as there still some patches of ice on the road heading toward my property.  My property is on the north face of the hill (compare to the 1/1/16 photo above) - my mill is under there somewhere:

First, I had to dig out some blocks:

Then I had to dig a flat path to drag a makeshift toboggan board with blocks:

So I could set them up to melt some ice and be ready for tomorrow's placements:

Under there is my Davis backhoe - a good 3.5-4' of snow sitting there:

We do have a great sled run coming down from my other neighbor's property:

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 2/10/16:

Daytime temps upper 50's/lower 60's.  Overnight upper 40's - warmer than Sacramento.

Spent the day up there placing more blocks - about 240.  Something you can't do with normal concrete blocks - building a wall with 4' of snow on the ground!  While the snow made a great scaffold, it was a bit of work popping the blocks apart (some froze together) on the pallets and climbing out of the hole as I used up 2 more pallets!

Added 2 layers of block all the way around except for the front area where the porch will be located as well as the garage and man doors in the front wall.  I need to dig that snow out so I can continue there  It's hard to judge progress as my work gets buried.  I use the water tank and metal scaffold as a gauge.  One more layer will be at the 6' mark (half the height) for the front section but the property drops off on the back (north-west corner).  That wall is close to 9' now.

I had dispersed rebar around the foundation but it is buried under the snow - and I don't remember exactly where it's at.  So I dug down a few feet to my main pile to get enough to continue tomorrow.

Once I get the porch area built up, I could call for an pre-pour inspection, not that I will be doing it anytime soon!
John Sawicky

beenthere

Perseverance I'd say... that is some tough work.
Thanks for the update.
south central Wisconsin

WmFritz

Bare ground under the trees.
Spring is around the corner and then you'll be flying.
Good pictures.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WmFritz on February 11, 2016, 03:55:04 PM
Bare ground under the trees.
Spring is around the corner and then you'll be flying.
Good pictures.
:D :D
The "normal" amount of snow is 12 feet.  I have about 4 now.  This is an el Nino year so it may be "above" average.  Four years ago - 16 feet and didn't clear until the 4th of July :o :-\
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 2/12/16:

Spent an hour digging out about 40' of block that was buried under about a 4 foot drift so I can add on:

Slow going work.  The blocks "expand" a little when placing them.  You can only get them so snug.  The instructions call for cutting the end off one block (in each run on each course), slice out the necessary amount on each side and re-attach the end with some long deck screws.  Were you see the short wall (right side of the man-door), every block in the corner had to be trimmed (along the long run).  I just bought a 20v circular saw so I don't have to fire up my generator.  It is so light compared to my Skill worm-drive.  A real pleasure to use.

Since I will be making swinging doors for the 9' wide garage door in the left bay, I am going to cheat a little.  The man-door opening is a bit over 4' rough.  I will just slide the wall section between without trimming blocks.  The garage door will be a tad less than 9'.
John Sawicky

samandothers

Wow cutting the block would definitely slow progress.  You are doing a great job!  You have great sticktoitivness!

Ljohnsaw

Update 3/2/16:

Decided to add another row of block to make it an even 1/2 way point on the build (6' of block on the front, 9'-4' on the NW corner where the grade dropped off).

Had to spend the day extending the rebar, move block (lots of wet, heavy ones) and walk the top of the wall laying blocks.  The only trouble was when rebar wanted to goose me :D

Just have to finish the front section and tap the blocks into plumb.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!