iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat Stunt Driver

Started by Raider Bill, July 25, 2013, 11:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom L

and to think I get nervous when one tire comes off the ground a 1/4"

that is some driving!

beenthere

Wow for sure... good balance and touch on the controls...  wonder if they are standard issue controls?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

there is nothing stock about that machine.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

The man and machine are one, but I do wonder if there are any gadgets  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Pretty cool!  At the very least, the tires look quite a bit bigger than standard!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Riggs

yeah, but can he dig a hole?? ;D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 25, 2013, 01:26:50 PM
there is nothing stock about that machine.

You know that, and if so what?
Or just surmising?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

think about it beenthere, normal machines have counter weight in the rear for lifting.if it was stock it would be useless. i'm just guessing at my views but, my eye sight has gotten worse the older i get :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever.....this was a pretty good driver. Good post Raider!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

okmulch

Is he going to be at the pig roast? I could probably do that but I use rubber track skid steers.   :D ;D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

pigman

I  think that the machine  might have a Sedway type of controls that the operator can engage in most of the balancing tricks.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sandhills

I agree with red oaks and pigman on both statements, ran too many of them to think it's not highly modified, but still very impressive skills.

Holmes

Come on Raider Bill fess up.... Thats you in the bobcat, right? ;) ;D
Think like a farmer.

Bandmill Bandit

I dont know about modified or not and as impressive as his skills are I remember Clarke/Melroe having a team of 4 Bobcats in the very early days of Bobcats, BEFORE the arrival of fluid drive in the machines. They toured North America and visited many of the fairs and Exhibitions all across and up and down the continent and even Europe.

I saw them perform several times at the Calgary Stampede, the PNE in Vancouver and Agribition in Regina. They had set up a real impressive Square dance routine to one of the popular square dance songs  of the day in the first year and in subsequent years added several different dances to their repertoire. 

They were the best I have ever seen. Give them todays technology and they would be unbelievably amazing. They spent as much time on the back wheels as they did on the front wheels and ended with a front wheel stand that had banners drop out of the buckets that said: " THAT IS ALL FOLKS"

That performance was one of the best attended sideshows in those days.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Raider Bill

Quote from: Holmes on July 25, 2013, 11:26:52 PM
Come on Raider Bill fess up.... Thats you in the bobcat, right? ;) ;D

If you ever watched me on one you'd either crack up or run for your life. Maybe both...
Once every 2-3 years does not give me much practice but I can tip one over on either end although not on purpose. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I have had them on two wheels before, but never deliberately  :-\  I also remember wondering  if I needed to change my shorts shortly after that experience
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

slider

I was wondering about oil circulation .is dry sump standard on most of them.
al glenn

customsawyer

I have heard it claimed that some guys can turn on a light switch with one. I can take out the post the light switch is on and still not turn on the switch. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jeff

I fell out the front of one many years ago while picking a hung tree off a stump on a side hill, cut by the chainsaw feller, because it was to big for the bobcat shear to cut. I was picking the tree up as I was backing down the hill, reaching the tipping point far quicker than I thought I might. Actually, never gave it a consideration until I fell out the front because I didn't have the safety straps on or the front door latched. Stupid Kid.  Luckily the fellerbuncher stuck in the ground and it just stayed there with the rear wheels exactly vertical above the front.  I reached back in the cab and killed engine. I went and got the skidder operator to pull me back over, and then that goofy bobcat flipped BACKWARDS down the hill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on July 26, 2013, 03:54:20 PM
I have heard it claimed that some guys can turn on a light switch with one. I can take out the post the light switch is on and still not turn on the switch. ;D

:D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on July 26, 2013, 04:22:57 PM
I fell out the front of one many years ago while picking a hung tree off a stump on a side hill, cut by the chainsaw feller, because it was to big for the bobcat shear to cut. I was picking the tree up as I was backing down the hill, reaching the tipping point far quicker than I thought I might. Actually, never gave it a consideration until I fell out the front because I didn't have the safety straps on or the front door latched. Stupid Kid.  Luckily the fellerbuncher stuck in the ground and it just stayed there with the rear wheels exactly vertical above the front.  I reached back in the cab and killed engine. I went and got the skidder operator to pull me back over, and then that goofy bobcat flipped BACKWARDS down the hill.

I think these Bobcats give a false sense of security. They make you feel very secure in that cage.
I saw a guy flip one backwards.
You were lucky you didn't get hurt BAD Jeff.

Jeff

That bobcat got tipped over many times that summer.  We were cutting 70' aspen and the terrain was all cradle knolls. When you sheared a tree, you needed to lay it down right away because they were way to much for the machine. If they started to go sideways, you had to spin and lay it down. In those cradle knolls, many times you just could not spin, and those tall trees would flpp you on your side in an instant if you couldn't get turned before it went over. 

That was some of the best aspen I ever saw. On many you could get 6 ten foot logs, a stick of pulp, and the tree topped itself when it hit the ground, so there was very little limbing and topping to do before the grapple skidder snatched them up and took them to the slasher.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

I have had a bobcat on two wheels on more than one occasion. I decided I didn't like it so much and have worked on developing skills to keep all four wheels on the ground. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bandmill Bandit

i have worn out 4 Case 1800 series machines. Started on an 1830 gas unit in 1976. Put just over 4000 Hrs on that one then traded up to a 1845 in 1980 which is still in operation after complete rebuild a little over 800 hours ago. When I sold it to my Dad it had jsut over 11000 hours total with about 2200 on a rebuilt engine. Dad sold it one of my best friends as a parts machine after it chucked a Rod at just over 20,000 hrs. He actually ended up buy a second one that was the same year but had burned with about 1100 hours and had sat for about 20 years in a machine shed. Basicly built one good one out of the 2 in the frame of the one I bought new in 1980.

My next one was a 1989, 1845C that I put just over 7600 hours on when I traded to my 2nd 1845C in 1993. Put abou 2000 Hours on that before I sold it.

Since my last machine I have been on Cat for about 1000 hours, John deere for about 800 hours Ghel for about 400 hours.

It was said to me and of me that I good butter a slice of bread with a Uniloader. One guy even figured I could skin a bear with one. LOL

I can tell you that in the seat hours I have under my belt, I learned how to do a lot of things on a bobcat type machine that many guys have just shook their heads as they watched and told me I was crazy when I got off the machine.

The ability to operate a bobcat on 2 wheels is a necessity for many of the situations I have found my self in many times and was the only way to get the job done without engaging another type of machine. Once you have figured it out it comes so natural that you don't even realize that you are doing it. Its been a few years since I have been in the seat everyday for 8 or more hours and I may be a bit rusty now but I know what I could do given a week or 2 back in the seat for 8 hours a day but i am quite sure that i would not want to any thing close to what he was doing. I would stick to moving dirt and related materials including logs and lumber.

He is extremely good even if there are modifications that allow for him to operate the machine the way he does. KODOs to him as an excellent  operator.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!