iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally shut down the OWB

Started by yellowrosefarm, April 13, 2014, 10:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowrosefarm

Well, this week makes a full 6 months for the fire in the OWB and it's finally warm enough to shut er down. That's 2 full months longer than the last two years. Guess I'd better start working on the pile for the fall in case next year is a 20 corder too :-\

thecfarm

I did shut the upstairs heat off for about 24 hours. The basement heat was left on. I turned the upstairs back on this morning. Tomorrow maybe 70.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Shut mine down this weekend as well.  While some people leave them running in the warmer months for DHW, my basement gets too warm and it warms the first floor of my house.  That may sound cozy, but as the outside temps get over 65-70 degrees, the inside temps are at 75, due to that heat from the basement.  Too hot for me, so the OWB gets shut down.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chevytaHOE5674

The Wife and I are going away for a weekend at the end of May so hopefully I'll be able to let the fire go out by then....

hacknchop

Still have a fire on 24/7 but at least we can shut the dampers now. Its a whopping 42 here today and were enjoying it because it wont get above freezing for the next few days.
Often wrong never indoubt

WmFritz

My son let his fire go out Friday afternoon ( mid-Michigan). I was over there yesterday a.m. and he had the tractor out bring more wood up to the house. He was, "getting ready for next week." By afternoon Sat, wind picked up off the Bay, temperature dropped and the fire got relit.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

stumper

Shut mine down today.  No choice I am out of wood.

gspren

I considered shutting down this week for the same reasons as Doc and I'm not too far away from him BUT the weather man said Tuesday is going to drop back into the low 30s and we might see a few flakes of that evil white stuff  >:( so maybe another week or 2.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I saw the weather report,70's than down hill from there. 30's at night by mid week and one night below freezing
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

It was at least a week ago maybe two I let the fire go out .When it hits 45-50 degrees it's just to warm to regulate the temperature .Besides all that old people sitting around in their skivies is not a pretty sight .

Jack72

Quote from: thecfarm on April 13, 2014, 08:23:00 PM
I saw the weather report,70's than down hill from there. 30's at night by mid week and one night below freezing

I saw that to c farm. 25 for lows in Illinois      Hoping to shut down after Wednesday. Hoping after Wednesday we stay above freezing because I need to be done burning for this year. I'm scared for next year with my supply I have at this point

Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

WmFritz

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 13, 2014, 09:34:53 PM
Besides all that old people sitting around in their skivies is not a pretty sight .

:D :D :D :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

trapper

Quote from: WmFritz on April 13, 2014, 10:12:41 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on April 13, 2014, 09:34:53 PM
Besides all that old people sitting around in their skivies is not a pretty sight .

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Thats why we live in the country 500 yards off county road. ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Roger2561

The temps supposed to get in the 70's today but once the front moves through they are expected to drop.  The overnight temps may be in lower 30's with daytime temps in the lower 40's for a couple of days.  I'll shut mine down when the nighttime temps are consistently in the 50's and daytime temps in the upper 50's/60's.  Roger
Roger

coxy

ill shut mine down next year when I get a new one :laugh: :laugh:

jargo432

OK time for the Redneck question of the day.  What is an OWB?  I gather it's some form of home heating device that you burn wood all winter long but living in Texas have never heard of such a thing.

I live in the country and heat my house with propane on a central heating unit, backed up with a fireplace in the living room.  (I'm thinking of putting a small wood stove in my bedroom)
Jack of all trades.

billporterfield

Outside Wood Boiler

Stay warm, BTW its snowing here

jargo432

Well, I went and researched them.  Looks like a great way to heat your house.  For me, I'd have to buy a water softner first.  The water here has so much lime in it the pipes wouldn't last for more than 5 years.

When I was a kid my dad built a rack for the fireplace that had water running through it.  It went into a 55 gal tank behind the fireplace then from there it went to the other end of the house and through a heat exchange.  He's an electronic engineer so of course it was all run by a programable controller.  Finally after a few years he took it out.  Said it took too much to keep it going.
Jack of all trades.

r.man

I let my OWB go out for a few days but I re-lit it today after getting up to an inch of fresh snow and a house at 53 degrees. Looks like I will have to run it for a few days more at least.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Yesterday morning I had all the heat shut off in the house.I turned it all back on at night. It's on right now and looks like it will be for the rest of the week. I unplug the pump for the down basement and turn a 2 valve for the upstairs. I go back and forth for a few weeks.

pineywoods

I had to re-lite my wood stove. got down in the 30's last night. I could have let the profane furnace pick up the slack, but I've already gone through 2 tanks of propane this winter, waaayyy too much for the deep south...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

petefrom bearswamp

59 here at 6:30 AM, now 37 and raining.
Expect snow by afternoon.
Shut down 3 weeks ago when my OWB leak got to require 3 5 gallons a day.
Am now supporting the petroleum industry.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

jargo432

We had a freeze last night, set a record for the latest freeze so I had a big fire going in the fireplace. 

I use an infared heater in the back of the house and fireplace in the front and the centeral heat never kicked on.  Which is good since the last time I bought propane they jacked the price up by a dollar a gal  to $3.41 saying there was a shortage going on.
Jack of all trades.

LittleJohn

So its supposed to SNOW tonight 4-8 inches, then my Sunday hit 60, next week they predict guess it will be 70's , maybe 80's

Logging logginglogging

I just shut mine down about two weeks ago.....

Thank You Sponsors!