iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer Simple Set Troubleshooting

Started by pri0ritize, November 08, 2014, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pri0ritize

I've just started my sawmill up for the first time in a couple weeks and the head seems to be driving down until it hits the stop. Then the breaker on the simple set pops. Anyone seen this before?
The sawmill is a 2012 Woodmizer LT40HD. Never been any issues with it so far except for required maintenance. Not even 100 hours yet.
2012 LT40HD
Random Stihl Chainsaws and more woodworking equipment than I care to inventory!

pri0ritize

I may have it figured out. Looks like my sawmill had the debarker installed and then removed as I didn't add it as a feature when I bought it new. Looks like one of the conductors was shorting on the case inside the control box. Not sure how that happened.

Either that or moisture in the drum switch!
2012 LT40HD

pri0ritize

Well, I do have the simple set issues fixed, but now I've been fighting the motor running like garbage. I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and fuel. It runs a bit better but now I've ran into the motor surging during a cut and idling very low afterwards. It also takes a few seconds to get the band up to speed which is new. I did find a vacuum hose of some type that was right next to the fuel line that was detached and plugging that back in helped a lot. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing the surging and poor running? It's the Kohler 29HP motor.
2012 LT40HD

Sixacresand

My mill has the 29 HP engine and I have not had any issues, yet.  I use non ethanol (100%) gas as recommended to prolong any fuel problems.  I will be watching post in this thread for future reference.  Good luck. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

I installed a 25hp Kohler on my mill earlier this Summer and since the weather started getting cooler, it requires more run time to get it running right, before starting to saw.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I always let my engine run about 7 minutes while I do other things to get ready. Your engine really needs to be warm throughout before throwing a load on it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pri0ritize

I definitely let the engine warm up before starting to saw. I tend to get logs staged and debarked while I wait first thing.

I did figure out what the issue is, and in case someone else runs into it again maybe Google will send them here and find the solution. It was the O2 sensor on the exhaust side. I'm not sure if water got into it somehow or it just failed but it was strange.

Right after startup it would run great. 2-3 passes through the log and it would start running like crap again. Black smoke, missing, surging. It really wasn't happy. If I shut it off and restarted it the engine would run great for a little time. Made me think it was something that had a timer before it started and the only thing I could think of was the computer/sensor. So, I popped the sensor off and ran it and it ran just fine. It's in open loop mode right now so it won't be as fuel efficient until I can get another sensor, but it appears to be what was causing the problem.
2012 LT40HD

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!