iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scored a great find at an estate sale.

Started by DR_Buck, January 24, 2015, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Got this at an estate sale for a couple bucks.     Brand new in the box.   Previous owner bought it in 1986.   :o     Almost 30 years ago.  Price back then was $32.      I found the same one on the web today for $32.48.   :D    Not much of a price increase.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

samandothers

A couple of bucks or $32 the PPE is worth it!  Thought I like the couple of bucks price a lot better!

Jamie_C

Might have been a supposed great deal but up here anything older than 5 years after date of manufacture won't pass the safety requirements. Most hard hats come with paperwork saying that even if they look like they are in pristine condition they need to be replaced after 5 years. The date of manufacture is usually inside the brim and look like a clock face, the largest 2 digits in the middle are the year of manufacture and the arrow points to the month.

WH_Conley

As long as it was kept in the box it should be OK. UV is what kills plastic. They claim plastic will last 500 years in a landfill. Leave it out in the sun and it gets brittle in a few months. Try bending it to make sure it is not brittle. If it breaks, you didn't want to trust it anyhow.
Bill

Jamie_C

I would rather spend the few extra dollars for a new one and not have to worry about going against manufacturers suggestions, ANSI/CSA standards, OHSA requirements and likely a few others i forgot to mention. If you ever get a safety inspection i doubt the inspector would care if you said "but it was kept in a box for 30 years" ....

beenthere

Just my opinion, but when the Gov't gets involved in making rules for the mfg's to follow (i.e. hard hat specs) they also add in some kudo's for the mfg's, i.e. that they have to be replaced every 5 years.

I have no doubt some plastics change over time, but don't believe for a second that the old hard hat is going to be better than no hat at all. And don't want to find out if a new one will protect my head more than a 10 yr old one.

We give up so much when the Gov't takes over to protect us in every way shape and form of our lives.
It is happening, and happening fast.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

If an inspector wants to take my old TJ hard hat off my head he best be carrying a big stick . Why do you guy's let them push you around . If they can't find anything more on a logging job than a hard hat date you guys are following all the rules . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

DR_Buck

It's not brittle.  And, I don't care what the government thinks.     smiley_mad_crazy    It's for my use.  I don't wear it because it's a hard hat.  I wear it because it has ear muffs for noise and a face shied for when I'm running the sawmill or chainsaw.   I have no employees.  My business is small enough I'm not required to have any kind of license, or inspections.  My insurance company only care that I have a fire extinguisher near the sawmill and I don't let customers operate any of my equipment.   So, bottom line is nobody cares about my stuff except me.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larry

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 24, 2015, 08:55:32 PM
It's not brittle.  And, I don't care what the government thinks.

+1  If we had a like button I would bang it extra hard.

When I had to work for a living it was at AT&T.  We had a pretty good safety program.  Early on there was no automatic time for hardhat replacement.  Our standard test was to squeeze inward on the sides of the hardhat as hard as one could.  If it broke it was brittle and time to be replaced. :D  Seemed like we were supposed to test once a month. 

Later we had a time limit because of the government.  That was ok...we all got new hardhats every now and than.  At the time we were a regulated monopoly.  Since that was a operating expense it was easy to pass it on to the rate payer...which was you.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ianab

The plastic goes brittle because of UV light (sunshine).

If it's been in the box all those years it should still be good.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ford_man

If an inspector sees the date his mind will be on that and not something that could be a bigger fine

Magicman

Hopefully the foam is still good in the ear muffs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!