iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All-around tractor chains

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, January 25, 2015, 08:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I know a bunch of you use a farm/compact tractor to do everything from logging to snow removal on your driveways. I have a 1/3 mile driveway (paved) that I remove snow from plus I skid logs with my tractor in the winter. I'd like a set of tires that would do both well; aggressive enough for snow and ice and mud when logging but not so aggressive that I tear up my driveway (had to re-mortgage to pay for that paving job!  :( )

Another question for those of you with 4WD tractors; do you chain the fronts as well? My FIL has a chain tool so I was thinking about buying a set for the rear and maybe making a set out of truck chains for the front...?

Please make your suggestions for the rear chains and comment on the idea for the fronts.

My tractor set-up (below) The red portions of the fenders unbolt and are like flares. I realize I'd have to remove those to run chains in order to get the clearance I would need.

Thanks!
Rich

Snow removal:

Logging set-up:

Reddog

No matter what chain you use there will be marks on the driveway.

I chain the front only on my 4x4

dgdrls

Quote from: Reddog on January 25, 2015, 09:24:16 AM
No matter what chain you use there will be marks on the driveway.

I chain the front only on my 4x4

agreed 100%

DGDrls

DeerMeadowFarm

Front only? Now that's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen/heard of that.

Holmes

I had a little Massey 1225 with a 4' snow blower. put a set of lawn mower  chains on the front and she would go most anywhere.
I like the way your logging winch misses the back window when raised , mine didn't. ::)  :'(  Hinges can be straightened and glass can be replaced  :D
Think like a farmer.

jdonovan

Another vote for front only chains. Works surprisingly well.

You already have R1's. Generally rims that take R1's you won't find a less aggressive tire that fits it properly. If you do go to a R3/R4 you'll be very sad when you head into the woods to go logging.

GAB

Quote from: Holmes on January 25, 2015, 10:17:45 AM
I had a little Massey 1225 with a 4' snow blower. put a set of lawn mower  chains on the front and she would go most anywhere.
I like the way your logging winch misses the back window when raised , mine didn't. ::)  :'(  Hinges can be straightened and glass can be replaced  :D

Top links are adjustable so as to avoid such experiences.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Around this area most people favor the "double-ring" chains, rear only, whether 2 or 4WD.

I can see where something like "pick-up" chains on the front tires of a 4WD tractor would help your steering in the woods!

I just have a little John Deere 1023E and use it for yard work and snow removal, and wouldn't want to put chains on it.  I like the idea that if I were to snub on a rock in the driveway when clearing snow, the wheels would just spin.  All things considered, but then I'm not 2-3 miles back in the woods either!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

I've been told by a tractor mechanic that not all small front wheel drive tractors should have chains on the front.  The differentials aren't made for the extra traction.  He mentioned John Deere in particular  :-\  If you do have chains on the front and want to use serious down pressure with the front loader to scrape ice and snow you lose traction when you lift the front wheels.  We've always put chains on the rear tires  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bruno of NH

I have a Massey  1560 cab tractor and was told not to chain the front tires .
I have loaded rears and a backhoe it has good traction but would still like rear chains.
I plow and move snow a lot .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Reddog

Before you run rear chains on a glass cab tractor, check your wallet for the extra cash to buy new side glass/doors.   ;)

thecfarm

I've been thinking about putting some on the wife's NH on front. I have heard that about chains on front too. But I suppose it matters on how much you use it too. With my application it would not be really spinning and grabbing. I need it more to aid in turning. billm has his NH chained up on all fours and he works his in the woods full time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Last winter I had the fronts chained up for the entire winter. Never had the rear chains on. And we had a long winter of snow plowing. I put on a set of car tire chains that fit perfect (thanks to my FIL - may he RIP).
Have heard about not doing it as well (Deere manual for one) but figure when the FEL bucket is used for digging dirt and other things and front wheel assist is used for traction, that it is more wear and tear than providing traction on ice and snow using the snowplow.

Didn't have the front chains on (only the rears) when pulling wood out the last couple weeks, but got into some tricky situations where they will be on when/if I go back in the woods next week.

Another of those decisions to do, or not to do, and having to live with the risks that come with it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Front or back, I personally believe it all just comes down to using common sense and knowing the limit of your equipment.  We don't have any FWA tractors though, and just use ring chains on the rear wheels, usually enough to get me stuck really good  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!