iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Are those logs holding up the back of the boat?
Ed K

BargeMonkey

Ed, yeah basically wooden blocks strapped in steel. Every boat / barge has what's referred to as a "Block plan", typically if you go to the same shipyard all the time it doesn't take them long. When the drydocks empty they position the blocks, drop it down and drive / push the boat in, sometimes they have a diver come to check. Should be back in the water today. 

ehp

Barge your getting closer to what I'm cutting but times the number of trees per acre that big by 50 or more , the big trees are so thick you cannot drive a skidder threw them 

nativewolf

Glad to hear you bought  a nice woodlot Ed.  What is the species mix?
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

It's interesting the difference loggers pay. Talking to a guy down in Kansas on some farms he owned with walnut trees that he cut and had all laid out. Had three different guys come and look at everything. A few semi loads. The one guy was 20k higher than the other two. He said the other two guys were furious and said if you ever need or have anything else don't call. 

ehp

just normal types for right in this area , white, bur, red and black oat, white pine and some red or soft maple , 10 miles east or west and timber changes alot , better timber is west more in the rolling small hills kind of ground , east you end up in clay ground so only thing good is the red oak 

nativewolf

Good deal, the WO is still quite good.  All the rest is still moving ok. We've been cutting YP, some of it is just the smallest heartwood I've seen.  Had some trucking issues and need to send 30 loads of small stuff a long way out and our backhaul has become erratic.  

We might do a barge here for a bit.  
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

If one was $20,000 higher than the other 2, I wouldn't have to be told not to call.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

logbyr

Walnut beast- 
The walnut log game is mind boggling for the best of buyers.    Logs are hopes and dreams until they are processed.    Logs out of the northern black dirt belts are less risky bets.  The risk gets higher the farther u move from these areas.    The crazy walnut demand in past few years from all over the globe has made the game less than "honest" in many cases.   The winning bidder could well be trucking the logs to IA to sell as IA grown logs. Uneducated buyers may suck them up as the higher quality IA logs.    The 2 low bids may be good faith buyers buying the logs for what they actually are.   Lots of horror stories of buyers buying logs in the good northern areas and after slicing they find out what they bought.    

nativewolf

Sorry for the multiple post.  This is a former shelterwood cut we think.  There are three different age class yp.  It is the closest thing to the stands @ehp describes that I have seen.  

Lots of ice storm damage.  Mostly YP but a few cherry.  Wish this had young oaks and walnut. The oldest trees are 50 years old and 30-40"dbh.  Trying to remove those.  
Liking Walnut

beenthere

Well said, logbyr

Walnut logs have been trucked to other areas for many years.. used to be the good walnut came from Indiana so logs were trucked there from other states (IA, IL, MO, KS, etc. ) for selling. That was in the 60's, 70's. Let the buyer beware. Those times have changed, but the game likely still played the same. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ehp

I'm sure there is lots of games played but any good walnut buyer can tell you where that log came from and that goes for most grade logs . The soil and terrain tells you what kind of timber it will grow 

stavebuyer

I have seen some wild bids. Some will turn in an "informational bid" when they aren't looking to buy but wanting to keep up with what competitors paid. I've also seen hungry buyers get the "big eye" and pay for veneer that wasn't and they will be wearing a different company hat next year. One might see an issue with a bridge restriction, local soil type, flood plain history. I know of one county in KY you will forfeit the road bond if you are not local.

Nobody would be in business long paying 20K under or over market for a few loads of logs.

Walnut Beast

Logbuyr! I'm sure your exactly right. When I had went to Kansas to the National Walnut Council meeting several years ago I was talking to a retired head of forestry and talking about the quality of trees he specifically said the Walnut trees were not as good as some of the other states. The guy that bought and sold farms that sold the walnut trees said that deal happened when walnut was at some higher prices. The other two probably give him a fair price. He told them the bid was 20k higher but he said they were still absolutely furious and said don't ever call. I'm probably going to have a tuff time finding a good farm with a good stand of walnut timber down there with him having his eye out. Unless it's big enough and it's out of his price range 😂

cutterboy

Cutting junk red maple for firewood. I'm clearing out an area thick with red maple so I can cut down two nice white pines. I cut down nine red maples and eight of them had some rot in the butt.

I'll get the pines next week if the ground is dry enough.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

g_man

Keep cuttin' cutter. Probably half my firewood is red maple - seems to burn OK.

gg

barbender

It burns fine, it just doesn't last as long as hard maple👍
Too many irons in the fire

Wlmedley

Had a pretty good pitch pine uprooted in the other nights wind storm.They must not have much of a root system or it may be that they seem to like clay dirt.I like to make lumber out of them.They saw good and dry pretty straight.This is about the only kind of pine that grows around here. I usually have a couple blow down every year.Cut this one up today and then rigged up snatch block and cable and pulled stump back up to fill hole.Make quite a mess when they uproot.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

weimedog

LAST year it was 20 acres of Ash & Hickory, THIS year a mix of Hard Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, and Soft Maple on a 40 acre area. Couple of loads out already, one more for the season. 10 more trees on this job and I am DONE! For this year. 

Big Red Oak Tree - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

nativewolf

Quote from: Wlmedley on December 01, 2022, 07:58:20 PM
Had a pretty good pitch pine uprooted in the other nights wind storm.They must not have much of a root system or it may be that they seem to like clay dirt.I like to make lumber out of them.They saw good and dry pretty straight.This is about the only kind of pine that grows around here. I usually have a couple blow down every year.Cut this one up today and then rigged up snatch block and cable and pulled stump back up to fill hole.Make quite a mess when they uproot.

Neat trick on pulling the rootball back over.  Well done!
Liking Walnut

Wlmedley

Hopefully by spring dirt will wash off roots and fill hole up some.I'm always afraid water and snow will collect in hole and cause a slip especially on a clay hillside  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Walnut Beast

With multiple snatch blocks and enough cable you can do some amazing things. 

Ljohnsaw

I find it ironic, some people like YH are trying to yank stumps out and you're trying to replant one. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

cutterboy

Quote from: g_man on December 01, 2022, 07:50:16 PM
Keep cuttin' cutter. Probably half my firewood is red maple - seems to burn OK.

gg
When I said "junk red maple" I didn't  mean that red maple firewood was junk. I meant that those trees I cut would never make a good saw log. I burn and sell a lot of red maple firewood because there is a lot of it on the farm. Like barbender said, it's a good burning wood. It just doesn't last as long as the "rockstar" firewood trees such as hard maple, oak, hickory, ash, beech and black birch.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!