iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Friendly Sawyers

Started by macurtis, March 11, 2002, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macurtis

:) I drove out to a stationary Wood-Mizer mill today to talk
to the owner. He wanted to know if I was sawing today.
I ask him if he knew of any one that needed some custom
sawing done. He said he did not know of any one right now,
but if I wanted to saw, bring my mill out his place and saw for
him because he was backed up. Hooked her up, drove out
and started sawing.

Bibbyman

Way to go.  8)

Like I said, I've always been up front and feel it usualy pays off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JoeyLowe

:D Mike:

That is ingenunity at it's best there.  Spoke with Buddy last night.  He mentioned that you had a couple solenoids go bad on you.  Did yall evey figure out what was causing that?  Buddy mentioned that he is a couple of days away from taking the plunge himself too.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tom

You guys with the solonoid problems on the WoodMizer hydraulics.  Don't try to feather the handles when you are actuating the hydraulics.  Pull them all the way up or push them all the way down.  Your solonoid and switch springs will last a lot longer.  Switch springs and centering springs are a pain in the neck to replace so treat them right.

macurtis

:)  Tom--Thank you for the info about feathering hyd.
controls.  Also talked to Wood-Mizer today and they
have narrowed the problem to a bad batch with the
# 203 stamped on them.

ARKANSAWYER

Macurtis,
  I am backed up also could you come up for a few months and help me get caught up? 8)  I could really use the help.  I have Bibbyman doing some sawing for me and the guy down the road with a WM sawing for me also.  I try to be friendly.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Looks like the ARKANSAWYER sawing cartel is branching out to other states.   ;D

Don't let him sell you any lots on White Water! 8) 8)
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

ENTREPRENEURIAL GENEROUSITY leads to Employer Status and or  Franchises  :P   Sounds like another Harlen Sanders in the making  with sawmilling.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

JoeyLowe

:) :)  Finished sawing some cedar today.  You guys were right.  Cedar gets into everything.  The guy I was sawing for had a total of 12 logs, all bucked to 8.5 feet and all limbed.  Biggest log was about 18" with most being around 14" and some as small as 8".  He was friendly enough and we did a partial swap and some cash.  What got me though was his use of the tape measure.  He was off-bearing for me and we were cutting 1/2" pickets for a fence and 4x4 posts for a fence.  He also wanted some boards sawn through and through.  Every time I would make a cut, he would pull off the board and take out his tape and measure.  Then I would be critiqued.  "You are 32 seconds of an inch off" or "Could you make the posts 1/16" inch thicker."  These were some pretty exacting standards.  But what got me was the slab cuts.  Keep in mind these logs are cedar and they are small and they are twisted and knarly and knotty to say the least.  If the slabs were more than an 1" thick he wanted me to try and get a board out of the slab.  I accomodated him today and I spent a lot of time making repetitive cuts and I did get a referral from him and he did leave happy, but man was he picky.  He did say that he would call again next week with more cedar to cut if I was interested. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

woodman

There the kind of people I love to saw for, I stop cutting and talk to them ,but I remind them you are paying me by the hour. ( that's why there are planers). And then I start cutting agan.
Jim Cripanuk

Bud Man

Joey  Sounds to me like if you can learn to please a fellow like him your on your way to being a competent professional  sawyer. Any referals you get will probably be laydowns cause they probably know how particular this guy wants things and know if you can please him your pretty *DanG good. You'll have to determine whether you want him and what an equitable arrangement is for both of you, now and down the road, with pricing and services offered. "You're Learning And There Are Dues To Pay", Find Your Nitch, develop your pricing based on the market and your daily goals for production and income and degree of difficulty you will endure to obtain your  desired goals and results.   A lot of advise from someone that hasn't got his mill yet and hasn't made a dime in the sawmilling business, but the same principals have served me well for twenty years in the construction trades.  In my humble opinion your very lucky to have come upon Mr. Particular he's a test of your metal and he's left the door ajar-  "Open It Wide And Search For Excellance"          
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bibbyman

Bud Man -=-=-=- When is your mill coming? ::)
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Bibbyman == May 3 mill will be delivered to Mt Vernon, Mo. W-M had a rush of orders before increase and could not get mine to April 6 open house In Mt Vernon.  May 3 will work, gives me another month to clear the mind of cobweb's.  Had them send manuals ahead so when I get mill and take training I'll know what they are talking about and maybe will know a little something.  SuperHyLT40HDD42  With a couple of bells n whistles :)

macurtis

Bud_man---You old dog--you got the super 42D--
Did you get command center?  

Bud Man

Macurtis  Ordered Mill, Trailer, Command Center w/ Accuset/ Auto Clutch, Debarker, Blades and a Spare Tire---While I talk about Luck I try not to push my Luck. ;)  Left off the cant hooks :o and went to HD and got 1 pry bar, figured that's all an offloader could use at one time. ;) Looking into winch to run off platform hitch we discussed.  :P Good fortune strikes  ;) I was driving through a subdivision in N. Miss. saw a builder I knew who was clearing a building site, he was talking to some fire wood folks about getting  them to cut up and haul off 12 White/Red Oak's from 18 to 23"s Diameter. Guy welched me out of a couple hundred bucks a while back, got 12 logs to mill for the old debt I never figured on collecting anyway,(Woods grown - nice logs)  ;)and he had the fire wood fellows buck em and pile em up in a good spot for me with a tractor, Right Place @ Right Time  8) The builder is tight with the developer, maybe that $ 200 debt will pay for this mill in the long run  8) Maybe Luck does exist ? Nah  :) They scaled about 260 ft.each on average, now I got to find a place for about 3000 bd/ft.-Looking for ground to lease close by the house till I figure some more on long term needs :P Looks like I'm gonna have to get me some work clothes and store the ones with creases. :D  Retirement might prove to be interesting :P

JoeyLowe

;D Hey Buddy:  Don't forget the jacket and the watch.
--
Joey Lowe

ARKANSAWYER

Budman.
   On your way back from Mt Vernon stop by the house and we will break that saw in before you get home.  I have plenty of logs for you to practice on and already know what not to do.  I may be just a tad jealous of the LT40HDD42 Super (I need one) but I know what to do with it.  And if you decide that after a few days sawing you dislike it you could just leave it here and not have to tow it back. 8)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bud Man

Arkansawyer --  Scheduled to Pick-up Friday May 3 : Training starts @ 8:00 AM  @  Mt Vernon, Mo.   Wood-Mizer says I'll be finished  by late afternoon.  Tell me a good place to spend Friday night, pile some logs up,  and  I'll pull into "Arkansawyer-Ville" Bright n Early Saturday Morning and you and I can try all day to wear it out. Contact the Newspapers -" Will Have An Ozark Sawmill-Shoot-Out"  ,with your  experience it ought to be educational and entertaining.   Let's Do It !!        Bud Man   8)

ARKANSAWYER

Budman,
  UH-OH!!!  My wife said that I wouldn't be home that weekend and gave me the "LOOK".  Said that we were going to Eureka Springs with out sawmill  or fishing poles. >:(   But I have to give her a bone from time to time and I guess it is time.
  But if your date gets changed let me know.  It is a shame that it will not be there the 6th for I will be there with bells on.
 SORRY
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bud Man

Well ARKANSAWYER I haven"t punched a clock in years and don't plan to start. Duty calls for you to be in Eureka Springs then by all means go !!   I Haven't plucked any trout out of the Ozarks in a while, might find a way to do both. I'll put the creative juices to task and mix fishing into the mix for the 4th and 5th and show up on the 6th. Let's see, pick mill up on 3rd., fish on 4th and 5th learn a little something from the ARKANSAWYER on the 6th and mosey back to Tennessee on the 7th., works for me.  Ball's back in your court.??????????

Bibbyman

I want to be there to get a group picture we can post for a certain knot head over on another forum that will remain nameless here..  ;D

(Maybe WM will loan us all orange t-shirts?)[/glow]
[/size]
[/color]
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Budman,
   I wil be home the 6th of May and ready to go.  I picked up 3 loads of walnut tops and by end of day will have 6000 bdft of cedar on the place.  There is a good chance that there will be a few sticks left over by the time you get here.  If nothing else we will drop a few oak trees here and saw them up.  Stay a little longer and I will take you trout fishing on the White River as I used to guide there and it is just 15 miles from here.
  Bibbyman,
   Your NY son would really get some sawing done wearing a "Orange Team" T shirt with some real sawyers on it. :D
  ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!