iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230 D Timberjack

Started by larry1, July 03, 2015, 08:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry1

Hi all , I'm new to this forum and just bought a 230 D   with no transmission .  Just wondering if you easily install the tranny into the reverser or is there any tricks needed . I have a lead on a trans. and not sure what the input shaft looks like .  I think my machine is the older type because it has the reverser in line with the trans . not off to the right side like some other machines . It sat for a while but I got it turning over and need to put fresh fluids in everything . I run TJ a long time ago and think they are a good machine . Any help will be much appreciated .
ps  can anyone tell me the year since my serial tag is missing , the airbox is square on the left side
Larry --ont.

Oliver05262

I believe the serial number should be stamped into the vertical part of the frame, just to the right of your right ankle as you sit in the seat. On the 240A I work on, it's toward the front of that step; the serial number tag USED TO BE toward the rear of the step. Spots where it WAS attached are still there.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

larry1

I can see where the old tag was , but it has been removed.I will look for stamping on the frame .

Thanks --Larry

Mooseknuckle

Hey Larry welcom to the forum!! Please post a couple pictures of of the beast for us TJ fans!!! I'm sure some of the boys will be able to give you an accurate idea of the year it was built. 
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

larry1

Thanks for the warm welcome Moosenuckle . I seem to have a problem down loading photos on this site . I plug in my cell phone and it doesn't work , --need to talk with moderater I  guess .

Larry --ont.

Neilo

Doesn't sound like a D series to me. Do the plates say 230d or just 230?

The C series have a t98 transmission in it. Parts manual also calls it t18-L2

bushmechanic

I'm with neilo if it was a D series it should have a New Process transmission and reverser box. Either transmission combination will fit in order to get you going hauling wood.

larry1

It says 230 D  on the grill  and does have Rockwell  PR  275  DIFFS .  It has a reverser and the gearshift is directly in line with the trans shifter . I looked on line and the t98 looks like it could be the proper trans --- but isn't that a Ford trans ?One never know about these machines how parts could have been changed over the years .

Larry --ont.

Neilo

Axles don't tell us age.

Anyway I still think it should have a warner T98 transmission if you want to bolt it to the existing reverser.

If the reverser has sat open for a while, you should check condition closely. There is a caged needle bearing inside the main reverser shaft that supports the input shaft of the main tranny. The reverser gear (that has the shift fork on it) will tell you the input shaft diameter and shaft splines.

As BM said, you could find a latter NP441R and fit that.

Scott Garrett

Hey larry1 welcome to the forum. I just got an older timberjack a few weeks back. I could be wrong but I think mine is a 1980 230 e. They are some real smart guys on here for TJ questions, they have helped me out and saved me thousands of dollars! Good luck.   ;D
If you love your freedom,thank a veteran.

Thank You Sponsors!