The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: That Paul Bunyon Show  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
Re: That Paul Bunyon Show
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2004, 07:26:04 PM »
Anyone use a rice bag------- A flannel bag full of rice?  You put it in the microwave and then use it like a hot water bottle.  It conforms to your body,  feels moist,  and stays hot a long time.  You can also keep it in the freezer to use on sprains,  bruises,  and other injuries that call for cold to reduce swelling.  I used one almost constantly after shoulder surgery and pinched nerves.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Online chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 07:36:31 PM »
Rice....... I wooda thunk ya wooda suggested a bag of grits.   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 07:43:25 PM »
Heck no,  them's for warming your innards ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 07:50:37 PM »
This is Dr. DanG typing. Jeff, now you listen up and listen up good!  .....er, I was gonna say something here, but I forgot what it was. ???

Anyway, I had that problem some years ago, and sorta narrowed down what was causing it. I was sitting on an old worn out couch in the evenings, watching tv and working crosswords. Started having these wierd and severe pains through my left hip and leg. I was just about crippled from it when we rearranged the place and I started roosting elsewhere. Pretty soon the pain went away. I've been more careful about where I habitually sit, and the pain has never come back.  Check out your normal sitting spots and change some things around a bit. You might discover the cause of your problem. :)

Best hot compress I know of is a wet towel in a garbage bag. Poke it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it will last for a good while.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2004, 02:54:01 AM »
HI Bro_Noble

I also have one of them microwaveable grain sacs. Its here someplace, I keep forgetting i got it.

Termite

I also agree with epson salts theoropy, I have that and sometimes I soak my feet in warm water with that disolved in it.  I have one of them ConAir foot thingies from Wallyworld. Some times my feet get cramped from walking all day and that's good for it.

DanG

I also agree with what your saying about furniture. Some chairs I need something behind my back, like a pillow. Those old hard wooden chairs they sit on playing cards in winter , I can't take for too long. Cut the circulation off in the legs, and hard on the lower back. Mind you I don't go to the card games too often. I don't sit on chairs that have that cord running around the rim of the cushon, that cuts into the legs too.

cheers
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2004, 03:16:49 AM »
Jeff
Seriously have you tried a good chiropractor. Workmate has back problems and normal docs will give anti-inflamatories and pain killers. Only treating the symptoms.
A good chiro should be able to x-ray your spine, show what vertabrae are out of line and pinching, and then beat them back into shape. Mate actually found where he had broken his back in a sking accident several years ago.
Things like chairs can also agravate the situation for sure. A different chair with your back in another position can also help

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2004, 03:37:11 AM »
I do see a Chiropractor, and I am planning on calling him today. This episode started two days before we left for Paul Bunyan. I lived with it the first day cause it started out tolerable. The next day of course when I tried to call was his day off. :-/ Then it was time to leave for Paul Bunyan. A 1000 miles later I am in pretty rough shape. I need to get straightened out some how this week because a week from today I have shoulder surgery and I dont know how I'll be able to function.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004, 03:41:52 AM »
yeah.. 1000 miles on the road .. last straw for a bad back  :(

Come and visit NZ and you can check out the thermal hot pools down the road from the Peterson factory  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2004, 03:48:34 AM »
Yep, got a big invite from Chris Brown but I think I want to be fit BEFORE a trip like that. Dont know if I'll ever be able to swing 5 grand for air fare, but its a dream.  Chris told me abour catching trout and burying them in the sand on a certain beach where the sand cooks them?

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2004, 04:10:47 AM »
Yeah.. I can believe the trout cooking story, there is a beach up north that you can walk out at low tide and dig a hole and it fills up with hot water for an instant hot tub.
In the usual NZ way it's imaginatively called Hot Water Beach  ::)
Work on at least a month to see NZ, I did the South Island in 2 weeks, different motel every night and we were never bored.
At least when you get here your $1 will be worth $1:80 if that helps ::)

Ian

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 05:16:47 AM »
btw Jeff
If you book ahead....
I put LA to Auckland return into the Air NZ site for tomorrow... NZ$ 7000  :o
I put in early December, cheap book ahead fares.. $2042 NZ

Shop around  ;)

Of course thats 10,000 km in economy class... so get your back sorted 1st

Ian

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2004, 05:36:10 AM »
Boy I sympathize with ya Jeff, I suffered with lower back pain for years. Our family doc gave pills which didn't help a bit, best relief I ever got was from moist heat. What finally got rid of it was a different job, all those years I was on the road driving 5-6 days a week or stuck on long plane trips. Now I walk to work and if the weather permits take long ones during the weekend, that and not doing the same repetitive motion got rid of it for the last several years.

I'll bet sitting in a sawbooth has taken it's toll on you also, hope you get feeling better. :)

Offline Haytrader

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2004, 06:04:24 AM »
Another thing you can try and it is cheap.
I carry a business card magnet in my hip pocket.
I have no proof that is why my knees don't bother me anymore but I won't leave home without it.

Noble,

My wife has a couple of the rice bags in the freezer and one in the dresser drawer.
Haytrader

Offline Bruce_A

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2004, 06:32:08 AM »
A long term approach would be a smaller tool shed roof.  I know the one I am packing is killing my back.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2004, 07:28:18 AM »
Bruce, I am sure that would help. I gained over 80 lbs in the last 5 years after I quit smoking. I really need to find the will power to just say no to cookies. :D

And Ice cream.

And Lasagna.

and... ;)

Ian, was that price for 2?  No way I would go without the Wildflower. :) (L.A. is a whole country away from me)

Offline Brian_Bailey

• A Great State to be From!
    • Share Post
    • baileyswoodworking.com
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2004, 07:51:32 AM »
Give some thought to an inversion table!  Does wonders in realigning the ole back bone. Almost as good as a chiro.and cheaper too!

I use one for my aches an pains and it sure does help!

Just a note of caution, have a spotter the first couple times you use one in case you pass out from being inverted  :o.

http://www.inversion-table-direct.com/
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Offline Gilman

• Senior Member x2
  • !eliforp ym tide ot deen I
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »
Here's my personal physical therapist.  It has been a lifesave at times.  

It measures 6" dia x 3' and made from a hard foam.

I got it from my physical therapist after I got rear ended.  The wreck wasn't so bad but my driver's seat frame buckled half way up my back.  Tried a couple different chiropractors, and a couple physical therapists.  I swear by a good physical therapist and swear at the bad ones.  Anyways, a quick roll on this once I get a little back pain and it's gone within minutes. It works really well when when you do a, "uh oh" when you lift something incorrectly and get that quick little sharp pain.

To use it you lay on it lengthwise under your spine and relax.  I takes some experience to learn to relax a painful back.  After (or before) that, you turn it 90 degrees and roll back and forth over the knotted up muscles.  Repeat as needed.

DISCLAIMER: Doesn't fix broken backs  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2004, 03:35:32 PM »
When we worked in BC, in Douglas Channel area, we stayed on a  motor yacht and anchored in hotsprings cove. What it was,  is an area where a bunch of loggers had set up camp. They discovered some hotsprings along the coastline and decided to construct a shelter and make some hot tubs with cement works. There was the main tub which overflowed into a smaller wash tub, with a drain hole. The water was around 100-110 F, I couldn't sit in it long but it was a nice spot to come to after a long day climbing through brush and rocks and boulders. I have pictures, but I don't think anyone wants to see a bunch of hairy strangers sitten around the hot tub. :D :D

Near where Percy lives in Terrace, are also hot tubs, that's only about 1800 miles away Jeff. :D There are also float planes leaving Prince Rupert to hot spring houses along Douglas Channel, they are near a reservation at Hartley Bay and maintained by the BC Ministry of Forests. There are also hot springs on the Queen Charlottes maintained by the native Haida. These areas are remote. ;)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2004, 03:42:13 PM »
Ian, was that price for 2?  No way I would go without the Wildflower.  (L.A. is a whole country away from me)

No.. unfortunately that was just one seat return, but at least it was NZ dollars  ::)
and I guess it's a fair bit for ya to get to LA in the first place :(

Offline dave7191

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2004, 04:06:29 PM »
 Jeff this one sounds crazy but I found it works if you can stand to do it you lay on the floor and pull your knees up and rock on your back it seems to straighten out your back  I had an old Dr. tell me to try it 30 or more years ago  I have a small curvature (sp) in my back and it has always cause me a little pain but this help as much as anything
hope you fell better soon
Dave

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone going to Paul Bunyon Show

Started by WV_hillbilly on Travel Guide

39 Replies
Last post October 09, 2002, 08:29:00 PM
by Dugsaws
xx
Paul Bunyon show ...... Any of ya goin?

Started by ADAMINMO on Shows, Events and Places to meet

16 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 09:37:25 PM
by JV
xx
2016 Paul Bunyon Show in Ohio. Who's going ?

Started by WV_hillbilly on Shows, Events and Places to meet

36 Replies
Last post October 27, 2016, 01:39:31 PM
by Sassafras73
xx
Paul Bunyon Show - Cambridge OH - October 5,6,7 2018

Started by shamusturbo on Shows, Events and Places to meet

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2019, 02:26:18 PM
by thecfarm