iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas present

Started by johnnyllama, December 25, 2015, 11:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

I recently spotted an old butternut tree lying on the ground in the back section of our woods while on a walk with my wife, so yesterday I took advantage of our record breaking temps. (upper 60's) to retrieve 5 logs that are still solid. Butternut stays solid for quite a few years when down, even totally covered with moss as these were. It will be wormy, but that actually adds to the value recently with it being in high demand. I have recovered some beautiful wood in the past from logs such as these, so today I will try and sneak out to the mill to see what "Presents" I can find within! I'll post some photos later.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

drobertson

nice find,, be sure to show us the inside of these!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lshobie

Oh ya i'd love to see what's in there!
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

steve marek

Cannot think of better gift

WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Magicman

Open them up so we can all share.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

johnnyllama

Well here's the inside of the first log. I only had time for one, but it was solid inside except for a couple spots near one end. I'm sawing to full 5/4, after drying I will resaw to get bookmatched material for cabinet doors. I usually make them 3/8-1/2" final finished thickness in Shaker style doors. 

I will try to get to more of the logs tomorrow.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Kbeitz

How do you resaw 5/4 ?
How do you dog it down on the mill ?
When I worked a Grizzly tools we sold a resaw band saw... But that machine was BIG $$$.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

johnnyllama

If I want to resaw anything wider than 10" i do it on the mill using a "sled", just a wide plank 1 1/2" thick that I clamp the 5/4 to. Most of the time though I'll be sawing narrower stock that goes on my upright bandsaw with a Woodslicer brand resaw blade on. It only takes about 1/16" kerf.

johnnyllama

Well, here's log 2, a bit mossy but still solid inside.

johnnyllama

Well, I finally got back to milling some more of these old butternut logs. I'd estimate they have been laying on the forest floor for 10-12 yrs, with a good crop of moss on them, but still some nice solid wood inside. Worm holes and discoloration in spots, just the way my customers like it!!!

WLC

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!