iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board and Batten

Started by FalconFan, January 27, 2016, 09:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconFan

I have a pole barn that just has vertical board siding and I want to close it in and insulate it.  Is there any reason why I cant/shouldnt use the pine 1x3's, from Home Depot, as batten material like what is in the picture?

beenthere

Longevity might be the only reason. What species of pine do you think they are?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FalconFan

Appears to be white pine but I am not an expert by any means. Im estimating 70% of the batten will be sheltered by an awning that goes around most of the barn.

starmac

I would bet we have a member sawyer close to you that would be glad to make you some battens.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

grweldon

Quote from: starmac on January 27, 2016, 11:28:30 AM
I would bet we have a member sawyer close to you that would be glad to make you some battens.

I believe I know of at least 3 within a 60-mile radius of Cartersville...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

FalconFan

Whats the best way to go about tracking one of those folks down?

Raider Bill

Custom Sawyer and WDH come to mind
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Haggis

I built a shed last summer and was looking a the 1X2's from home depot but didn't liked the look of them so went and purchased the full rough sawn, full dimention 1X12's pine from home depot and ripped them on a table saw. They look a tone better in my opinion. But if you have a big building to do it would take a llot of time to cut them up.

Here is the final look.

petefrom bearswamp

More likely spruce or fir from Canada.
Too many knots showing for EWP IMO
Dont know why they wont do the job.
I sell my Hemlock 1x3 battens for .15 per linear foot full inch thick but am too far away to help.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Andries

They are really white - guessing spruce as well.
Up here where we are, spruce lasts pretty good without rot, as siding. But then, we are below freezing for quite a few months and wood rot sleeps when there's snow on the ground.  :D
In the heat/humidity/critters of Georgia though . . . ?
I'd go with your board and batten plan, and then with a roller brush on a pole, or a sprayer, layer on some weather and bug/mould/rot proofing.
With your buildings' big overhang, you should be just fine for a long time.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

grweldon

Quote from: FalconFan on January 27, 2016, 01:15:23 PM

Whats the best way to go about tracking one of those folks down?

Woodmizer has a pro sawyer network, don't know about TimberKing or any of the others.  To access the Woodmizer network, go to the sponsor bar directly to the left and click on the icon that says "Go PRO with the Wood-Mizer Pro Sawyer Network".  It will take you to a page where the first paragraph has an embedded link that says "local sawyer directory".  Click on the link, enter your state and you are on your way.  There is a sawyer in Cartersville as well as many other cities in Georgia.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

FalconFan

I sure do love this forum.  Thank you everyone for the input. I will update when I have a game plan.

Thank You Sponsors!