iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another great CraigsList find

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 14, 2016, 11:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

If you scroll up to reply #23, you will see a Crown pallet jack that I picked up a little over a year ago.  Well, same store, I look in the dumpster and I find this one:

This one is a little pigeon-toed! :D About 4 inches!  Looks like they backed the forklift into it.  With a little persuasion from a 12 ton bottle jack, I opened it back up (had to go 2" over for spring back).

But, it looks like it was abused a little more.

I'm thinking someone sat a really heavy load on it.  Perhaps the forklift again... :-\  I'll have to pull the bars off and straighten them out somehow.  Maybe roll over them with my truck.

The tag says this one was made in China - it has thin plastic wheels so I don't know how long they will last.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

I thought I'd be able to remove the bars under the forks to straighten them but, being made in China, this pallet jack is not really meant to be serviced or have parts replaced.  I would have had to drill out several roll pins (no way to pound them through) to disassemble.  So, I just flipped it over, set the 12 ton bottle jack on one bar and wrapped a chain around the fork.  Then I just jacked it until the bar was pressing on the bottom side of the fork.  Repeat and done - faster than taking it apart.

I had a large collection of Boy Scout uniforms that I was dropping off to send to the troops that lost everything in the Paradise fire last week.  On my way home, I hit an "estate sale".  Everything was pretty well over priced.  I did find two nearly full spools of stranded 12g THHN wire and 1/3 bucket (221 of 600) of Simpson SDS25600 lag screws (6") and I paid $20 for the lot.  The rolls of wire are $55 each at HD and the Simpsons are about $1.00 each in large quantities.  So I saved about $300.  I'll be using all of this on my cabin build.  A good morning!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hturner12

I found a pawn shop that has some  decent  tools not high turn over.  So far  Hitichi  job  site tablesaw $200, echo cs 600 $200, Makita  4 x24 belt sander $20.00, royobi  2 hp plunge router $30.00 and a Clark E8 Floor  sander $400.  Has a very generous layaway program
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Ljohnsaw

I was the first to respond so I got it.  Another project :D

A little elbow grease and you can read the brass plate now.

Propane regulator.

Still have to look it up to see how big this Wisconsin twin engine is, which is set up to run on propane so I'm thinking this was for indoor work.  I pulled the makeshift choke off as that section of intake was full of water.  The raise and lower crank works but the throttle on the dash is stuck.  Belts look like they were replace just before it was abandoned.

The engine plate says Model TF, SN 2228844, Size 3¼x3¼, Spec No. 86528
John Sawicky

moosehunter

You just going to use the engine or are you going into the concrete / asphalt cutting bizz?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

btulloh

HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: moosehunter on April 03, 2019, 08:07:24 PM
You just going to use the engine or are you going into the concrete / asphalt cutting bizz?
Since I'm retired now for 6 years and I have a 4wd trencher and now this concrete saw, maybe I'll start a little side job...
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A couple days ago, I'm scanning CL free and a guy listed an old Ford Ranger for free but no chassis or engine.  The bed look nice and clean (as did the whole truck).  Left a message and text.  Couple days later he texts to see if I'm still interested.  I am so I go out to get it.  Turns out he is "restoring" and old 56 or so Dodge (IIRC).  He read you could plop it on a Ranger frame and he would have "modern" running gear with a decent ride.

So I got the bed (just 6 star bolts and its off) with a tailgate for free.  I'm going to put it on a small trailer I made a few years ago.  Thinking of making it a dump bed.  I have a ram and a collection of 2hp edger engines.  Thinking of teaming that up with a power steering pump and a valve.

Just saw this listed "Sander":

Made me really sad to see it.  It is an old Shopsmith 10e or 10er.  I have one fully restored and two more waiting.  This one is a bit too far gone!  The only thing worth the trip is the belt cover.  Those are pretty rare - aluminum casting that usually gets dropped and broken.  The 12" sanding disk is also nice aluminum, but I already have 7.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A while back (4 or 5 years?) I found this old Generac generator (5hp, pull start) Maybe 3,500w?  I cleaned it up and gave it a paint job.  My Makita 16" beam saw really drags it down as does my worm drive skill saw.  Forget about running my little compressor with anything else.

It works (when it wants to), hard to start when its cold out and generally noisy as it runs at 3600 rpm to make the frequency.  But, it is good to use to warm our foil-wrapped burritos for lunch!

Seriously thinking about buying another generator that is electric start.  Even bid on a few ($250) on BidRL that are worth $850 new but will probably go for too much money.  Then I see a free ad on CL late Sunday night.  Get a call back Monday mid-morning to come get it, but it is really heavy - need a ramp.

It is a 6,500w unit out of an RV.  The previous homeowner set it up with a 30 amp welder socket.  It came with 3 manuals (installation, operators and parts).  It can be wired various way, including three-phase!  I hooked up a battery and it cranks over just fine.  Stuck the gas line in a jug of gas but it wasn't pulling it up through the filter.  So I gave it a shot of ether and it kicked over - Great, got spark!  Replaced the fuel line as it was a tad loose on the input side of the electric fuel pump.  Gave a few more cranks and it fired up.  Nice thing is it runs at 1800 rpm so it is a LOT quieter.  Just needs a fuel tank, gas cut off valve and a switch to disable the fuel pump.

Oh, and the manual says it weighs in at 307 pounds.  The manual is dated 1979 and it looks to be cast iron cylinders.  What a beast.  I need to put some bigger wheels on it and I'm thinking a removable hitch/tongue so I can tow it with my ATV.  I could put a pair of no-flat wide wheelbarrow tires (kind of small diameter) or a 1,200lb 4-lug axle from a small trailer with bigger tires.  Leaning toward the latter but lack of time right now.
John Sawicky

Sedgehammer

That's a find! If cast iron sleeves and it's not been totally abused, should last a long time. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

TimRB

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 17, 2018, 05:39:00 PMAnd this "wrench" that has Flo Control embossed - cast aluminum.  For taking apart a big valve?  Or maybe irrigation pipe/valves?

LINK REMOVED PLEASE READ POSTING RULES. EBAY AND CRAIGLIST ADS NOT ALLOWED>

Edit:  Just posted because it solved the mystery--have no interest in the item.

Tim

Chuck White

John, I have one that looks almost identical to yours, but it's 4,000

I've had it since '97 or so, it's out of a motorhome also, and runs at 1800 rpm

I could run it all day on 5gal gas.

Mine's on the fritz now, it has a dual distributor and it's now defective.

When I got mine, it was mounted on a small trailer with 8 inch wheels.

But, it's still very heavy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ljohnsaw

After some digging through the junk stockpile and pondering some different options here is what I came up with.  At first, I was going to use the trans axle from a lawn tractor but it was too narrow.

The rails are from a pallet rack (60" piece) cut in half.  The recess on the inside edge is to accept the frame the generator is mounted in.  The receiver hitch is mounted on the top of the rails - I had to change that as the actual generator was protruding out of the frame and hit it.  So I moved it to the bottom.  The axle is supported by a pillow block bearing just under the rail mounted to that cross piece.  With the fixed axle, it was hard to turn.  So I cut the axle in the middle and put a piece of 3/4" black pipe between the rails to keep the axle straight and supported.  I filled it with grease to keep it from rusting.  The pipe rotates with the axle when going straight.  The back "bumper" is a extra piece from my sawmill build.  I cut a short length off of it and that became the battery mount.

I had this jack already made up, just had to shorten the bar so it is compact when staged for use or in storage.  The longer draw bar is for towing.

Here the battery is mounted, the battery cables were just the perfect length.  Hard to tell from this angle but I will mount another plate to accept a gas tank on the near side of the receiver bar.  I just need to pick up another lawn tractor to get a 2 or 3 gallon tank.  I will also put some bolts/washers over the frame to hold the generator frame to the trailer rails.  The idea is to be able to remove the generator from the trailer when I keep it in my basement after the cabin is done.  I left the 3" casters on the generator frame.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Not a freebie, but at $130, a pretty good deal.  Some thoughts and questions:
The name plate is a little mangled but I can make out "The Colson Company", a serial number (154?), 6,000 pound rating and that it was built for a specific military contract.  The date of service is messed up.  Anyone heard of the Colson company?

After removing the rotted wood, you can more clearly see the frame damage in the back side rail.  It took a hit on the right side and bent the rail in and down above the tire.  I'll see if I somehow bend it back up.

The wood was resting on the side rails made from some T shaped stock on its side.  Then this 1/4" flat bar was bolted on top flush with the outside metal.  I *think* the square nuts are welded to the botom of the T and the counter sunk screws are rusted in.  I gave the 18 of them a good dose of BlueCreeper - this will be the acid test!

I also gave all the lug studs and the split rim bolts a good shot.

What do you call this tread design?  These tires have a max pressure of 125 PSI!  One tire is a normal looking street tread and max pressure of 80.  I should replace it as it does have a couple cracks/splits in the sidewall.  Hate to have it fail when under load.  It'd be good to have a spare handy when I'm up the hill working.

Looks like the deck was made from white oak and was coated with asphalt tar.  A little stinky and I don't think would make good fire wood (at least in the house!).

Not like I need another project but I plan to clean it up and paint (have a can of yellow tractor paint), repack the bearings and maybe install (if not one somewhere) a zerk on the fifth wheel plate.  I also plan to attach a receiver to the hitch so I can slide in a normal 2" hitch on a draw bar.

I would like to replace the deck with white oak (Quercus lobata) that is in range at my cabin.  I've never really looked at the oak closely to determine what I have.  Also, in my range, up there is Oracle oak (X moreha), Canyon live oak (chrysolepis) and Blue oak (douglasii).  Would any of the 3 be a good substitute for white oak in terms of durability to the weather?
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A minor update to my RV generator.  So it was starting and running great last year.  This spring, cranked for a bit and the battery died.  So jumped it.  Ran for a while but battery still dead.  Put a volt meter on it while running - 10.6v  Can't charge very well on that!  So, quick fix:

Its a generator, right?  Needs charging while it running, right?  So slap on a battery charger!  It may have been this way since before I got it for free but need to dig into the documents to see if it even does charge.  I'm thinking not as there is no "extra" wires in the battery harness except for a couple of quick disconnects.
John Sawicky

breederman

I have a generator out of a motor home and have to use a charger in it too.
Together we got this !

trimguy

Maybe the motor home was responsible for charging it. Just a thought, I don't know how they are set up.

Tacotodd

I'd be using the generator to charge it. Otherwise, you might have to start the MH for a charge JUST to be able to run the generator.

At least that's how I'D do it. But that's maybe why I'm not an engineer (makes to much sense).
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

The generator cranked off of the motorhome battery which was charged by the motorhome engine's alternator.  You can probably get by with a battery charger plugged into the generator.  At least it will be charging while the genny is running.  There is not normally a 12VDC output on the genny. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I had a big Winnebago motor home and the generator started  off the house batteries. When running it charged the batteries using a 120 to 12 volt inverter in the motor home.  The engine  would  also charge them when going down the road. Be sure  to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 21incher on June 24, 2021, 06:27:53 PMBe sure to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that.

No sensitive equipment - just my drill and skilsaw.

MM, I did put a volt meter on the battery when the generator was running.  That little trickle charger was only showing 12.6 v so maybe it thought the battery was fully charged.  I need to do one more test but I think this charger is too smart.  It senses what the voltage is (6v or 12v) and what the charge state is to do a fast charge or trickle.  I think if I open the circuit to see what the charger can do, it will just turn off.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Just picked this up yesterday. 5' x 16" x 1" cutting edge from something.

Weighs in about 340-360 pounds.  Another piece of scrap when to Schnitzer and it was 580 pounds!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

This beauty was listed for free.

Googling, I found it is a Marvel Combined Shear and Punch listed in "The Iron Age" back in October 27, 1904.  Without the legs, it is touted as a portable tool at 135 pounds.  There is only a drawing of the label side with a pair of handles/levers on the back side. 

It describes the use (can cut up to 1/2" plate and 3/4" rod stock!) but I cannot find any other information regarding what the levers ends are supposed to look like.  It talks about some cam action on the levers used either singly for light stock or alternately for heavy stock.  There are no gears. 

The shear blades are not chipped and seem to have a decent edge.  The punch is engaged so I can't see those edges.  I plan on getting it apart (come on BlueCreeper!), clean it up, repaint (institution green) and see if I can get it functioning.

Anybody have one or know how the handles should look?
John Sawicky

JJ

JJ

I found the patent:

Thank You Sponsors!