The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Another great CraigsList find  (Read 12644 times)

Offline TimRB

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Another great CraigsList find
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
And this "wrench" that has Flo Control embossed - cast aluminum.  For taking apart a big valve?  Or maybe irrigation pipe/valves?

LINK REMOVED PLEASE READ POSTING RULES. EBAY AND CRAIGLIST ADS NOT ALLOWED>

Edit:  Just posted because it solved the mystery--have no interest in the item.

Tim

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
John, I have one that looks almost identical to yours, but it's 4,000

I've had it since '97 or so, it's out of a motorhome also, and runs at 1800 rpm

I could run it all day on 5gal gas.

Mine's on the fritz now, it has a dual distributor and it's now defective.

When I got mine, it was mounted on a small trailer with 8 inch wheels.

But, it's still very heavy!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
After some digging through the junk stockpile and pondering some different options here is what I came up with.  At first, I was going to use the trans axle from a lawn tractor but it was too narrow.

The rails are from a pallet rack (60" piece) cut in half.  The recess on the inside edge is to accept the frame the generator is mounted in.  The receiver hitch is mounted on the top of the rails - I had to change that as the actual generator was protruding out of the frame and hit it.  So I moved it to the bottom.  The axle is supported by a pillow block bearing just under the rail mounted to that cross piece.  With the fixed axle, it was hard to turn.  So I cut the axle in the middle and put a piece of 3/4" black pipe between the rails to keep the axle straight and supported.  I filled it with grease to keep it from rusting.  The pipe rotates with the axle when going straight.  The back "bumper" is a extra piece from my sawmill build.  I cut a short length off of it and that became the battery mount.

I had this jack already made up, just had to shorten the bar so it is compact when staged for use or in storage.  The longer draw bar is for towing.

Here the battery is mounted, the battery cables were just the perfect length.  Hard to tell from this angle but I will mount another plate to accept a gas tank on the near side of the receiver bar.  I just need to pick up another lawn tractor to get a 2 or 3 gallon tank.  I will also put some bolts/washers over the frame to hold the generator frame to the trailer rails.  The idea is to be able to remove the generator from the trailer when I keep it in my basement after the cabin is done.  I left the 3" casters on the generator frame.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
Not a freebie, but at $130, a pretty good deal.  Some thoughts and questions:
The name plate is a little mangled but I can make out "The Colson Company", a serial number (154?), 6,000 pound rating and that it was built for a specific military contract.  The date of service is messed up.  Anyone heard of the Colson company?

After removing the rotted wood, you can more clearly see the frame damage in the back side rail.  It took a hit on the right side and bent the rail in and down above the tire.  I'll see if I somehow bend it back up.

The wood was resting on the side rails made from some T shaped stock on its side.  Then this 1/4" flat bar was bolted on top flush with the outside metal.  I *think* the square nuts are welded to the botom of the T and the counter sunk screws are rusted in.  I gave the 18 of them a good dose of BlueCreeper - this will be the acid test!

I also gave all the lug studs and the split rim bolts a good shot.

What do you call this tread design?  These tires have a max pressure of 125 PSI!  One tire is a normal looking street tread and max pressure of 80.  I should replace it as it does have a couple cracks/splits in the sidewall.  Hate to have it fail when under load.  It'd be good to have a spare handy when I'm up the hill working.

Looks like the deck was made from white oak and was coated with asphalt tar.  A little stinky and I don't think would make good fire wood (at least in the house!).

Not like I need another project but I plan to clean it up and paint (have a can of yellow tractor paint), repack the bearings and maybe install (if not one somewhere) a zerk on the fifth wheel plate.  I also plan to attach a receiver to the hitch so I can slide in a normal 2" hitch on a draw bar.

I would like to replace the deck with white oak (Quercus lobata) that is in range at my cabin.  I've never really looked at the oak closely to determine what I have.  Also, in my range, up there is Oracle oak (X moreha), Canyon live oak (chrysolepis) and Blue oak (douglasii).  Would any of the 3 be a good substitute for white oak in terms of durability to the weather?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2021, 04:25:53 PM »
A minor update to my RV generator.  So it was starting and running great last year.  This spring, cranked for a bit and the battery died.  So jumped it.  Ran for a while but battery still dead.  Put a volt meter on it while running - 10.6v  Can't charge very well on that!  So, quick fix:

Its a generator, right?  Needs charging while it running, right?  So slap on a battery charger!  It may have been this way since before I got it for free but need to dig into the documents to see if it even does charge.  I'm thinking not as there is no "extra" wires in the battery harness except for a couple of quick disconnects.
John Sawicky

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
I have a generator out of a motor home and have to use a charger in it too.
Together we got this !

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Maybe the motor home was responsible for charging it. Just a thought, I dont know how they are set up.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
Id be using the generator to charge it. Otherwise, you might have to start the MH for a charge JUST to be able to run the generator.

At least thats how ID do it. But thats maybe why Im not an engineer (makes to much sense).
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
The generator cranked off of the motorhome battery which was charged by the motorhome engine's alternator.  You can probably get by with a battery charger plugged into the generator.  At least it will be charging while the genny is running.  There is not normally a 12VDC output on the genny. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 06:27:53 PM »
I had a big Winnebago motor home and the generator started  off the house batteries. When running it charged the batteries using a 120 to 12 volt inverter in the motor home.  The engine  would  also charge them when going down the road. Be sure  to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2021, 12:17:44 AM »
Be sure to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that.

No sensitive equipment - just my drill and skilsaw.

MM, I did put a volt meter on the battery when the generator was running.  That little trickle charger was only showing 12.6 v so maybe it thought the battery was fully charged.  I need to do one more test but I think this charger is too smart.  It senses what the voltage is (6v or 12v) and what the charge state is to do a fast charge or trickle.  I think if I open the circuit to see what the charger can do, it will just turn off.
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
CraigsList find

Started by ljohnsaw on General Board

0 Replies
Last post December 30, 2015, 01:25:25 PM
by ljohnsaw
xx
Jeff's great find.

Started by Wildflower on General Board

218 Replies
Last post July 30, 2016, 06:10:10 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD