iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering Barn Project

Started by jwagner, March 28, 2017, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwagner

Greetings, first post on this forum.

We're looking at a property with an old barn, guessing 1930s vintage in rough shape.  The question I'm wrestling with is whether to just skip this house, buy it with the intention of tearing down the barn, or restore the barn for a combination of storage and workshop space (our preference).  Not sure that I'll have time to get a detailed assessment and estimate of the cost to stabilize the barn, but I'd be a lot more comfortable making an offer if I had at least some idea of what the costs and risks are in taking on a project like this - is it likely to be $20K or $100K to get a roof on and make sure the structure is sound?  Thoughts on the size of the project and/or pointers to how to figure this would would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
Jim

Edit:  It might be worth mentioning that this is in SE Wisconsin.

nopoint

That's a cool looking barn. It would be a shame to tear down. It's hard to judge the overall scale in your picture. Looks fairly small but looks can be deceiving. It's can easily hit 20 for a roof removal and replacement. The rest depends on how good you want it. Perhaps adding some cables and braces would do it. Or on the flip side it could be extensive. How's the foundation. Foundations are repairable but it can be difficult to find someone willing to do the stone work. Some more pictures or info would really help.

Thank You Sponsors!