iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Douglas fir turning black

Started by Al Miles, January 18, 2018, 09:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Miles

Just before Christmas i custom cut some Douglas Fire on a client's property. I told him to have his helpers clean all the sawdust off the timbers and sticker them under cover as they came off the mill. That didn't happen and they have been getting rained and snowed on for a month. He is now cleaning and stacking the wood but the sawdust and some of the surface of the wood is turning dark colour already.
Is there a method to get the stain off the fir? I've heard spraying the wood with a bleach-water solution will remove the blackened stain. Anyone know if that will work?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Al

btulloh

It works to some degree.  Easy and cheap.  Won't make it look like new.  Deck cleaner will do a good job if they need to look fresh sawed again.
HM126

Chop Shop

Most times it will just go away as the wood dries and gets some air flow.

Tell him NOT to tarp it.   Just a cover on top like plywood or tin roofing.

Once the moisture goes away it will stop.   If it stays wet it will just go away later when theres no sugar left to feed the mold.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

At this point, you are likely dealing with mold or other fungi that are just on the surface.  The key for control is to remove the moisture they need for active growth.  So aggressive dryingis needed to prevent future growth.  Because it is likely just surface now, you should be able to plane or sand it off fairly well.  Bleach will affect the wood's color too.  Any chance you could surface a piece, or even just scrape it with a knife, to make sure it has not gone into the wood?  If it is deeper, then we have a different fungi.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brad_bb

If you use the bleach solution, you do not need any more than 5% bleach mixed with water.  Tests have showed that any greater than 5% provides no additional benefit and does not kill the fungi/mold faster. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 20, 2018, 10:35:59 PM
If you use the bleach solution, you do not need any more than 5% bleach mixed with water.  Tests have showed that any greater than 5% provides no additional benefit and does not kill the fungi/mold faster.
Brad,
Are you are talking about 5% of bottled bleach in solution?  Not that it would be a huge difference, but what strength of bleach?  The cheap stuff is 3% HCL, normal is is 5 or 6% and pool grade is 10% HCL.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Note that bleach will kill existing fungi, but if the conditions favorable for fungi growth- -moisture, oxygen, temperature and food- - remain, then new fungal activity can occur, both on the surface and deeper.  In fact, bleach is in water so the increased moisture content can encourage new growth.  Therefore, you do need to dry the wood aggressively to make future fungal growth impossible.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!