iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter must be on its way

Started by snowstorm, September 15, 2013, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

we were out in the boat today. nice day temp mid 60's sun was out. did see 2 ships waiting on the hook to get into the docks in searsport. an irving oil tanker and a freighter with i assume salt aboard. there were several big clam shell buckets on deck must have been at least 10 yd buckets. in a few months i will be melting ice and snow with some of that salt

Chuck White

It's coming alright!

Yesterday I saw a nice 6 or 8 point buck on my way in to a sawjob!

Today I saw two 4-pointers on my way out of the sawsite at supper time!

All 3 bucks were all out of velvet!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Farmerjw

The deer my son in law has on his cameras are putting on a winter coat already and we are in Indiana!  My team of horses and the ponies are also getting a little fluffy. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

clww

Yesterday morning, it was 39 degrees at the cabin. Our two dogs are putting on their thicker fur, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Icehouse

Shouldn't say this or admit to it but the high country had a dusting of snow this morning. Some say if you don't talk about it it won't happen. Afraid it hasn't worked in all my years. Good day to all Forum Members.   :snowman:
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

Larro Darro

I could sure tell winter was getting close. It was down to 61* Friday morning. They say it will hit the 50's next week. Burrr.

Larro
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

hardtailjohn

Icehouse, same here in the NW corner of MT.  I guess they had almost a foot in places in Glacier Park this week...... it got down to 23 here at the house this week..but it's up to mid 50's and raining now.  I sure hope Indian Summer gets here soon!!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Icehouse

For sure, have seen no sign of Indian Summer

SwampDonkey

Still warm like summer here in New Brunswick, but fall is in the foliage.  ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

More color there in NB  then I saw while traveling through Wisconsin and the U.P. this week. I didn't get west of Marquette but, saw a little more color along Whitefish Bay.  Cool nights, warm days.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

Wow! pretty colors for sure, and a sign to be sure, and I hate it when Florida gets winter, it just drives up the prices for citrus!  all said, it is coming, and quickly, man, time flies, best case scenario is no more ticks and chiggers,     david   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Icehouse

Swamp Donkey real nice pictures we don't really have anything like that. Thanks

Brucer

Weather forecast for tomorrow:

"Showers. Risk of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow level 1400 metres rising to 1800 metres in the afternoon. Wind southwest 20 km/h. High 12."

When they start reporting the snow level in conjunction with rain, we know winter is just around the corner. Our house sits at 1000 metres and the milling site is about 50 metres higher. I'll be seeing snow tomorrow on the top of Mount Roberts, directly in line with my mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Could move the mill to Prince Rupert and look at the snow on mount Hayes and saw in the rain down below. ;D

I suspect it will be about mid November here this year, it's been quite warm. I remember 2001 was a warm October, but the end of the month the snow came in a blizzard. Winter 2007-2008, snow came last of October and snowed every week until the end of April. Was in the 70's the week before the first snow. Just never can tell. I like winter anyway, so doesn't bother me none. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

justallan1

SwampDonkey, beautiful pictures.
The news predicted 50 mph gusts here with rain yesterday, but you don't listen until it happens or you won't get anything done. I went out on the 4-wheeler to gather some cows, got a couple miles from the truck when it started clouding up, so I started back and didn't make it. It started raining and got bad windy, then the hail started. I got in the open and the wind was really pushing on me and the bike so I had to hit it head on and dropped a gear. About then I got hit by a gust that pretty near stopped the bike and about tossed me.
I could have stopped, but what's the fun in that. ;D
I got to the truck, changed into dry clothes, had a snack while waiting it out and went to work.
Yup, it's that time of year.

Allan

hardtailjohn

Great pictures, Swampdonkey!
It's been raining and blowing here for a couple days.... and tonight that darned rain is turning white when it hits the hill behind us! :snowball: 
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

ST Ranch

It looks like winter is closing in for all of us here in the Northwest {Bruce Allan and John}
Our weather here in the East Kootenays has changed so fast - I was in my tee-shirt and hiking 2 weeks ago and the temperature was in the mid 70s °F and today we got to about 55 °F.

First pic below was on Sept 14th and temp was 74°F at 7700 feet hiking in the Rockies near my place [about 5 miles north of the middle picutre below].

The snow in the bottom 2 pictures arrived last week and we are having heavy killer overnight frosts.

Bottom picture of my better half getting a last minute ride in before I pull the geldings shoes for the winter.  Fall colors are vivid this year with all the extra rain.

Tom

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Roxie

That sure is beautiful country, and very nice pictures! 

Our trees are just starting to turn, and here's a picture of a misty morning In Pennsylvania, taken on Friday. 

Say when

SwampDonkey

Almost 7 am here local time, and it's 39 out, so escaped the frost I would say.

When I worked up in the Nass valley, we could see coastal mountains in snow in September. By mid October there would often be 4 feet of snow in camp along the river.  Some of those hills were always in snow as they had glaciers, like Bear Glacier near Stewart. Makes me think of the mountain goats living up in those peaks, they have to be tough critters and they can walk in places I wouldn't. When snow is involved, that's constant work. Said it before, I've never been cold working in the winter. Gotta work twice as hard just to get from A to B. :D

justallan1

It snowed a little bit night before last and here's what I woke up to yesterday. I think when it quit I only had about 2", but it's wet as anything and just making a mess. On a good note, at the first sign of snow the cows generally come running home off the mountain and stay within about a mile of where we want them.

Allan

ST Ranch

Thanks Roxie - Yes it is beautiful, especially in the fall with the contrasting colors - I take it for granted too often.  However, every part of the country has it's own beauty!  I have not traveled to the East coast or to your part of the country, but from many of the pic's I see, often on the forum,  I hope to some time in the next few years travel that way.
Allan - you folks on the eastern slopes o fthe Rockies have been getting some pretty wild weather - friend of mine in southern Alberta has been getting snow as well, and I just saw a news story about storms south and east of you that hammered folks with wild storms of snow.

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!