iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sprocket question, Jonsred CS2250S

Started by fluidpowerpro, March 09, 2024, 02:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

I need to replace the drive sprocket on my Jonsred CS2250S. The saw I have has a toothed sprocket and most replacements Im finding on line are what I think is called a rim sprocket. Can I use a rim sprocket or will I need to stay with a toothed?
Thanks,
Tom
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

lurk

You would need to change the clutch drum to a splined version to take the rim sprocket.

I think after a quick peruse of the web, the sprocket you have now is a 578097901 which also fits some Husky's and other brands.
My FF Gallery
TGMForum The Garden Machinery Forum

fluidpowerpro

Thank you for your help. The kits I'm looking at include the clutch drum so if that is included will I be OK. Where is the spline? I just took mine off and the clutch has a smooth bore.
Change is hard....

fluidpowerpro

I did some detective work myself and see that yes, that P/N is listed as the one for my saw. Just wondering, is one type better that the other, toothed vs rim? 
Thanks again.
Tom
Change is hard....

doc henderson

I think the spline would be on the outer side (opposite the clutch) for the rim sprocket to slide on.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

I like rims. Faster and easier to change. Less waste. A spare can be easily kept in your field bag. Rims also seem smoother when worn, though I haven't compared like saws to know for sure.

DHansen

I prefer rim over spur.  I have switched from spur to rim on some Husqvarna's.  Then you even have the option to change rims from 7 to 8 tooth of you want to play with chain speed.  All in all I would go to a rim design.

DHansen

I did one on a Husqvarna 61 removed a worn spur style and converter to rim.  I played with both 8 and 7 tooth drive sprocket.  More chain speed with the 8 and more torque with the 7.  Was a very easy job.

DHansen

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=119014.msg1967086#msg1967086

This link is from my switch from spur to rim on the 61.  I have done the same on a 49.  In soft wood like pine the 8 tooth is awesome on the 61 and an 18" bar.  Fast cutting and very noticeable improvement over the 7 tooth.    But in red oak the 7 tooth is my preference. 

Spike60

Everyone's advice is correct regarding the rim set up being a better way to go. And cheaper in the long run, as future replacements will only require a rim vs a new drum/sprocket.

But one thing to keep an eye on is that both the rim and spur style drums must match the oil gear. Comsumer saws like the 2250 came with spur set ups, while pro saws like the 2253 came with the rim style. Previous generation saws like the 2150/2153 matched up OK even if the oil gears had different part numbers. (depth I think, and perhaps some play where the drum meets the gear). Have to make sure this is the case with the 2250. I'll see what I can turn up. Quickest way might be to look through the tray of oil gears I have. 

As most know, the 2150/2153 shared a LOT of parts. Nearly the same saw with either a plastic or magnesium case. Not so with the 22xx saws. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

Scrap the rim idea fellas. As suspected, there is a fit problem between the drum and oil gear. Best to stick with the factory set up for this saw. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!