iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood boring insect

Started by LumberGuy, April 17, 2011, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumberGuy

I had cut a dead oak tree and thought I would try and make a shaving horse from it.  The tree is about 12" at the thickest part of the log.  I was splitting logs into planks when I came across these critters.  They appear to be round head wood borers, I have seen their work many times. The tree was cut April 9th, 2011, in Monroe, GA.

If I had been sawing the logs, I would never have seen them.  Anybody have an idea of the proper name for this critter?

Ianab

Not sure what they would be in your part of the world, but here we call them huhu, and for the Aussie's it's witchetty grubs.

Apparently they taste a bit like peanut butter, if you ever get that hungry.

The adults are some large sort of beetle or moth. The local ones fly around at night, get attracted to outside lights, and fall into your boots by the back door. Then bite your foot when you put your boots on in the morning  >:( :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LumberGuy

Thanks, Ianab!  They may add a little welcome variety to my usual fare of hickory nuts and collard sandwiches.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LumberGuy

Yep, that looks like it! Thanks for the link, SwampDonkey!

thecfarm

Guess I'll have to ask the woodpeckers if they taste like peanut butter.    smiley_eek_dropjaw  Could not find a yuk smiley.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Quote from: thecfarm on April 17, 2011, 08:29:11 AM
  smiley_eek_dropjaw  Could not find a yuk smiley.

We do have a puker tho... :D :D   steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

They are much better on a green salad than anchovies.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

treefarmer87

i think its one of these maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passalidae

i have used them for fishing bait before :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2011, 01:56:23 PM
They are much better on a green salad than anchovies.   ;)

Anything is better on a green salad than anchovies! steve_smiley

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

clww

We get these in VA all the time. They turn into black-colored beetles. Not sure of their name, though. I've pulled out some that are nearly as big as my thumb. The birds love 'em!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treefarmer87

i have heard people call them bessie bugs
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

The larvae looks quite a bit different in Lumberguy's photo.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!