iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love trouble!

Started by Furby, October 02, 2006, 08:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Well I came across a hyd. grapple being auctioned off.
Didn't have much time to decide and hadn't seen it in person, but I won the bid.
Was a bit worried it was going to be a little itty bitty thing....... I was just a little bit wrong.
Went down and picked it up today and it was closer to the size I was hoping for.
Loaded it up and drove off. Could feel there was a little weight there, but figured it was because of the placement on the trailer.
Got home and started to take it off, that's when the real weight of it hit home. :o

I ended up bending the trailer frame that the boom sits on, and couldn't drive off as the rear of the truck was high enough that I had no traction. :-\

Ended up having to jack up rear of the boom tailer in order to slide the other trailer all the way back under and lower it back down on to it. Then dragged that trailer out back and fired up the backhoe to lift it off with the FEL.
Just like getting myself in trouble once in a while. ;D

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Corley5

Interesting looking piece of equipment you got there Furby 8)  What was it used for in it previous life ???  You gonna attach it to your backhoe ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Not sure what it was used for, but it looks like it fit on a loader in place of the bucket.
The backhoe was an idea that had been tossed around.
I might put it up for sale as it's heavier then I wanted.
Also the truck broke down the day after I bought this so I have to find the $ for both. ::)

I was worried that there was no rotator, but it has a big one of those as well. ;D

isawlogs

Dont worry Furb ... I have brought home a few of those head scratchers too at one time or another . I am sure you will fid a use for it .
  Hope the truck aint broke too bad .
I know of a guy thats out in the wilderness , up a in a blind , that aint using his p/u , ya could go over there and trucknap his . Thats if you can do it with out getting sthumped   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Now who dat be Marcel? ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Looks to me like it was made to pick a roll of paper.We had something similar at work to pick up rolls of carpet.It was mounted on a forklift.It would rotate too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Murf

I don't think it's for paper rolls, looks more like the things they use for picking up 55 gallon drums and pouring the contents.

I bet if you measure it up it's the right size for a barrel.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

scgargoyle

I won a 12' long, 5000# metal lathe at an auction once ($100) Had to take it complete apart and bring it home piece by piece w/ an engine hoist and a trailer. Fun stuff!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Furby

Well it is currently open to 3 1/2 feet, looks like it may go as much as 4' but I'm not sure.
I was thinking it was for concrete pipes when I first saw it.
It's going up for sale if anyone wants it.
I'll post an add in the commerce section as well.

Part_Timer

Furby

We have those mounted on the fork trucks at work.  I work in a papermill and our shipping warehouse has about 4 of them in it.  Although it seems a bit small for the roll size we make it would work great for drums and trees pipes and the like.  Ours are rated for about 7000 lbs and I'm just guessing but that one looks like maybe 4500.  There should be a tag on it with the weight rating.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Furby

Nope no tag, just one with a huge list of patents from several countries.
"Cascade" is stamped in the steel though, but I couldn't find anything online.

JimBuis

Furby, I'll keep looking for you, but so far came across this:

Cascade Corporation - Portland, OR - US
Cascade Corporation is a global leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of materials handling equipment ... Forks, Grapple, Forklift, Rough Terrain ...

Their website is:
http://www.cascorp.com/

Here's one of their paper roll grapples.

Here's one of their drum grapples.

From what I see on their site, your grapple could be either one of them.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Furby

It is pretty close to the paper grapple.
Thanks!

Tom

I come from a long line of Make-do-with-what-you-got, ne'r do well's who look upon a pair of water pump pliars as a pretty good hammer and a knife will make a screwdriver, you don't have one.  Pry bars work for little shovels and shovels for pry bars.  I figure that instrument could move a log if needed it to do it.  :D :D

Furby

A log is paper after all, right? ;D

Dan_Shade

i'm with tom as I sit here eating icecream with a fork
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!