iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Municipal Urban Forestry Programs

Started by Kerry, October 20, 2011, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry

We are developing our first urban forest management plan at the City of Ann Arbor, Michigan and I'm doing some research to see what other communities are doing with their urban forestry programs. If you work (or have worked) for a muncipality, could you please take a few minutes to complete a survey about your program. Just click this link or copy and paste into your browser to access the survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GRBH9XJ

If there is anything else you would like to share with me about your program that is not in the survey please send me an email at kgray@a2gov.org.  Thanks!

Kerry Gray

Marc Thornton

Since you are in Michigan, your best bet is to follow up with the driving force of urban forestry there, urbanwood.org.  The person behind the effort is Jessica Simons.  She works for the Southeast Michigan Resource Conservation and Development Council I believe.

I'm actually a bit surprised you have not bumped into her yet.   She just gave a presentation about Getting Value from Urban Trees at the Society of Municipal Arborists International Conference in Milwaukee, WI.  You can find the presentation here: http://urbanwood.org/news/details/urbanwood-project-featured-at-society-of-municipal-arborists-conference/

Hope it helps. 

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Todd

I guess in the 3 years since Jessica left Ann Arbor they forgot about her. She is definetely the person you want to talk to.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

bheil

I am working on a managment plan as well, so any input would help.  I currently have a 4% random sample inventory completed, as well as most of a 100% ash inventory.  I am getting ready (once I learn how to use it) to impliment Tree Tracker as our invetory / work order software.  Our municipality has had a reactive forestry program for quite a few years now, but I would like to get us back to a proactive and planed program.

Thank You Sponsors!