iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E Classic 2400 Air Charge Tube Failure

Started by wayno12, January 25, 2012, 02:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayno12

Hello, it has been awhile since posting here, but I've run across yet another "issue" with my E Classic 2400.  While cleaning firebox last weekend, I noticed the end of the tube which is referred to as the Air Charge Tube was opened up and not working correctly.  By the end being open, it allowed the air to flow out the front of the tube rather than being forced down into the combustion chamber.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Below are some pics to give you a better idea of what happened.

stumper

My boss had an issue that sounds like this.  He had to shut his down till the part came in.  I was a warranty item and he tells me that the new part was much heavier.

wayno12

Stumper, thanks for the reply.  I picked up the new tube yesterday from the dealer and he said Bob Sorenson @ Central Boiler, who handles warranty claims, told him they would replace this part this time but from now on, it would be my responsibility to replace at my expense.  The current cost from my dealer is $81.22.  I questioned this so I called Central Boiler and they told me it is considered a "wear and tear" part covered only for 1 year but they were replacing it this time as a curtesy.  When I asked what the expected life span of the new improved tube was, I was told 1 to 3 years.  I'm not happy about this, but I do appreciate them replacing this one at no cost to me.  It's just another "unforseen" yearly cost of running this boiler.

wayno12

In addition to this Stumper, you are correct. This new tube is heavier than the last.  My last one lasted 14 months from boiler install so I hope to get the 3 years out of this one.

k7776s2001

I have noticed the same problem with my E2400 with a build date of 1/11.  I only fired mine up for the first time in January of 2012 and shut her down in March and only recently started it back up.  I'll have to contact my dealer to look at it for replacement but do you guys think that I will do it any harm by burning it?  It seems to be performing just fine.
CB E2400

Ivan49

I would take that new tube and use it for measurments and make a new one so I could replace it as needed. Much cheaper that 81.00

boilerman101

k777 I think CB may cover that under warranty since you have not had that unit very long.
I got a replacement for mine 11/11 under warranty.
The replacement seemed to be made out of a much heavier metal.
No signs of wear after running last heating season with the new tube.
I don't see how running it as is will hurt anything, but you may not get into high burn as easily.

k7776s2001

Thanks alot for the help!   I'll let you know how I make out with the dealer and CB.
CB E2400

k7776s2001

I got word today that a new air charge tube will be loaded on my dealers next truck that is being loaded on Monday.  I was told i need to fill out a waranty claim card and bring the bad tube in.  Anyone know how hard these things are to remove and replace? 
CB E2400

boilerman101

Extremely simple to remove. I remove mine during my end of season cleaning. Takes 5 seconds.
Lift the end nearest you up 3-5 inches and pull back toward yourself.
You may have to wiggle on it a little.
It simply slides into a square receiving box it the firebox front.

superwd6

The 2300 had a poor design first then it to was given a much thicker one. My new one is on it's third season still looking perfect ;D

beenthere

Quote from: k7776s2001 on November 02, 2012, 12:16:40 PM
I got word today that a new air charge tube will be loaded on my dealers next truck that is being loaded on Monday.  I was told i need to fill out a waranty claim card and bring the bad tube in.  Anyone know how hard these things are to remove and replace?

k7776
How hard was it to remove and replace?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

See my post on the subject of the leaking Eclassic
Old fashioned Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!