iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E-Classic 2400 serious issue

Started by AsaG, February 14, 2012, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsaG

Greetings Fellow Members,
I'm on month 16 of E-Classic 2400 ownership and have had absolutely zero issues until Saturday, February 12.  This fine morning, I notice a puddle of water directly below the electrical entry knock-out.  Upon opening the air-box, I notice a decent quantity of water inside.  A quick sniff reveals it's likely condensation from within the firebox.  I then notice a 6-8 inch horizontal "seam" in the foam insulation directly below the solenoid assembly for the air charge tube with staining from firebox condensate.  My dealer stopped in Monday evening and did some 'exploratory surgery' in the area and made the discovery pictured below.  Yes!  That is the end of the air charge tube visible through the hole.  Has anyone seen this type of problem?  I did notice the foam was very thin in this area.  Would this lead to such a failure?  I do season my wood for at least a year and regularly check it with a moisture meter.  All recommended additives, such as Ashtol, are used daily.  I have no issues with smoking, flame outs or other issues.  This boiler has been absolutely great....until now.  :'(

Boiler has a build date of 10/10 and was installed the first week of November 2010.

AsaG

doctorb

No, I've never seen anything like that.  I am skeptical of the theory that this is just condensation.  I have never seen consdensation anywhere on my 2300.  If I had to bet, I'd say you've got a leak in your water jacket.  I have no experience to back up that opinion, except to say that your description of the amount of moisture involved in this problem exceeds what I would expect with condensation alone.  Also, the relative youth of your unit would indicate a bigger issue is at play here.  I hope I am wrong.  Keep us informed of the investigation and its resolution, please.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

That is too bad. I have no idea about your problem,but doubt it was your wood that caused it. Dealer won't help call HG at CB. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AsaG

Just thought I'd drop in to post an update.

The dealer has been of little help.  I did find an CB e-mail address and shot them a message with the pictures I posted here.  Within five minutes, a factory technician called me!  8)  He did advise there have been a few reports of issues with corrosion in this area and they are working on a repair kit to remedy the problem.  The problem is, it will be a few weeks before they are ready to ship.  After a good half-hour conversation, he advised to check the water jacket @ 10 PSI and check for leaks.  Since all was good there (Thank Goodness), he gave me the go-ahead to make any needed temporary repairs to get my heat back on.  My 'fix' , which will require no welding or drilling on the stove, is in progress and should be ready to go tomorrow.  I'm taking many pictures and will post several of them after it's back together and working.  Today is one of those days I'm thankful to have lots metal fabrication tools. 

The last few days have been a real wake-up call; I had forgotten how terrible electric heat and water heaters really are.   ;)

Thanks for the replies and stay tuned...more to follow.

Clam77

Your wood didn't cause that... standing water that's been there for long periods of time did that.  Either you have a leak somewhere under that pretty gray paint, or water got in a different way. 

Also notice the metal is discolored around the edges of the hole - that signifies there's been something laying against the metal and caused a hotspot which also helps deteriorate the metal faster. 

I work with boilers and have seen hotspot problems on boiler tubes - usually ends up catastrophic.

All that white stuff you can see behind the bubbled up paint around the edges is corrosion that's built up - you'll need to scrape and chip all that stuff out of there and then prime/paint it again or you'll end up with another leak eventually.

I suggest cleaning out all that corrosion and getting everything nice and clean in there with a wire brush and checking your water jacket for leaks again - but it has to be done while it's hot.  There could be a hairline crack in it somewhere or a pinhole leak that only leaks at/close to operating temp, which you should be able to see with everything cleaned up.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

AsaG

Had a detailed reply typed up.  My session timed out and it was lost when trying to post it.  I will boil it down to a simple one this time...

The water jacket is okay.  CB has had a few reports of this problem. Both CB and myself made a workable permanent adapter.  No welding or drilling required; only a steel shim and high temp RTV.  Currently, mine is being used although I may swap them in the spring.  My 2400 is working perfectly again!  :)  The couple of days of limited hot water and cold feet revived appreciation for my OWB.  CB did a decent job of product support so I'm happy. 

Thank You Sponsors!