iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest operation notification

Started by Maine logger88, February 08, 2021, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Maine has had paper mail in notification forms for years that worked perfectly fine now after March 31st we have to do it all online both landowner and logger have to make an account and fill out online. I don't mind so much for myself but I can just see the hassle it's going to be with some landowners who don't have a computer or just don't want to deal with it. My question is if you don't live in Maine how does your state do harvest notifications and if you are from Maine what do you think of this new system.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

Here it's on line, being from The County I completely agree that it's going to be an issue for a fair bit of landowners. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Oregon is completely online it's nice for doing the permits and getting the notifications we've been this way for almost 5 years. If the land owner doesn't have a computer they can into the forestry office to file out the ferns system.

chevytaHOE5674

Harvest permit? Harvest notifications? Never heard of such a thing. Haha

Corley5

When we want to kill trees we kill trees :) ;D :)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Another one of those regional things. The Lakes States are still running under the same regs as when horses were pulling all the wood out. I know where Skeans is at is a completely different world safety wise- they shut harvest areas down to outside traffic. Here, some jobs require us to post "Trucks Hauling" signs, there's a lot of places I wish the roads were closed off because I've had some close calls with gawkers.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

We dont have any rules in TN either.  A logger can knock on the door, shake hands and cut same day here.  Probably why everythings cut over.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

There's no notice of intend to harvest up here. But, we have load slip legislation, where the trucker keeps a booklet of slips for each load hauled, information on where the lot is and PID number to identify it on a map. DNR collects the books from the truckers or your local marketing board. You're also obliged to have written on a  piece of paper the PID and owner address and location of the lot you're cutting firewood on. I just keep my management plan in the pick up. DNR can stop and question any load of wood. On public land the only thing they do is post it on the entrance to a block. Had to be done, too many wood thieves.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Maine logger88

Well I sure envy you guys in areas with now notification lol. not that it's a big deal it's just one of those unnecessary things. I'm worried  if now that it's going to online only if some of my older landowners will say never mind we don't want to deal with it. 

ehp

Main logger, your getting closer to our rules here , we do not do anything online but every tree has to be marked and scaled standing , tree type as well.  marked trees in bush has to have the basal area the country bylaw wants , alot of the counties now passed a law that only good forestry rules so every bush has to be marked by a forester and their raising the basal area to even a higher range , at this point we do not have to pay to hand a harvest permit in but next county north has a $200 fee that goes with handing a permit in

Gary_C

Quote from: barbender on February 08, 2021, 11:15:28 PM
Another one of those regional things. The Lakes States are still running under the same regs as when horses were pulling all the wood out. I know where Skeans is at is a completely different world safety wise- they shut harvest areas down to outside traffic. Here, some jobs require us to post "Trucks Hauling" signs, there's a lot of places I wish the roads were closed off because I've had some close calls with gawkers.
I completely agree and go one step further. MN DNR requires you to to have liability insurance for state jobs and in order to get liability insurance you have to sign an affidavit to swear you "will keep the public away from your logging operations."  However the state will not allow permit holders to exclude the public from any public lands, no exceptions.
On one state job and after a big snow storm, I cleared the snow from my landing out to the main road (all state forest roads were blocked with snow and the state does not plow snow) and the next day I found some guy had parked his pickup right between my log truck and my log pile. I drug his vehicle out of my way and no, I didn't leave it in a snowbank and the guy complained to the DNR and they threatened to fine me and shut down the job. 
Loggers can't win. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Autocar

No rules here in Ohio but when your working near a bunch of houses you can go to the Soil / Water in the county and they have a form you fill out then they come and look at it . Then if there's any questions about the harvest you have the paper work saying the county looked at it and seen no problem. But I myself has never filled a paper out , probably should for the way folks are anymore.
Bill

stavebuyer

I think its starts out with something simple like "its only notification" and progresses to "reasonable standards for the good of the forest" and ends with "only what we authorize". Doesn't matter what the subject is.

mike_belben

Yeah pretty much.  A govt amoeba. 
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

Yup and the worst part is we all just go along with it... myself included I may call them up and complain about it but that's all I have time to do lol

Thank You Sponsors!