iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

operator station preferance

Started by StevieSonger, July 07, 2004, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevieSonger

In your experience, which operator station would you prefer? Working alone half the time and having a helper half the time. Would you prefer the stationary controls like the B20 has or the walk-along like the LT40HDG27. Disregarding which brand you prefer, just which controls would you prefer. What are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks,
Stevie Songer

Tom

Not having operated a B-20, I can't speak for working it alone.  But, I would prefer a stand-alone operating station if I had help. You can concentrate on sawing if your help is good and can off-bear alone.

I would definitely like the remote station if I had the horsepower to use drag--backs.  Drag-backs are a real boon.  They bring you the board so that you can get your hands on it without your having to go get it.   They are worth their weight in gold if you are cutting timbers.  12x12's are difficult to remove from the mill by hand.  Drag-backs let you use the engine's horse-power to bring the timber back where it can be put on a stack or on a tractors forks.

If I were getting started and didn't  have the money for a mill that had log handling equipment and no drag-backs, I would probably opt for walking with the head of the mill just so that I would be in a convenient spot to off-load the board when alone.  Having help, in that case, would just be a handy thing rather than a necessity.

D._Frederick

Stevie,

I would go with the stationary operators controls, it keep you out of a lot of dust and the walking back and forth. Even if you don't have a drag-back, it will save you steps on the slap and lumber handling, instead of removing from the back end of the mill, you can remove from the front end.

Norm

I have the stationary controls and like being able to do other things while the mill is cutting, I also prefer being away from the dust and noise. Electric Al has the one that moves with the head and prefers it as he can see what's in the log he's cutting. Makes it easier to see if you need to turn the log to keep the grade up.

Gipper

Stevie

I've never worked a walk-along, but I have a stationary control and like it that way.  I would not like all the extra walking all day long.  I have the drag backs and as Tom said, they are certainly a plus when sawing alone.  I don't saw alone very much any more, but they certainly help when doing so.  Being able to do something else while the saw is traveling through the log, even if it's just sitting down for a few seconds, seems to help the tired feet by the end of the day.

Thank You Sponsors!